Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Recommendations for flying in the US

Why is SkyDemon not suitable in the US ?

Airspace and NOTAMS are not well plotted, en-route frequencies are not very good and you will be the first guy testing it…as exemple, I recall it did missed SpaceX lunch TFR but had Trump TFR at Palm Beach, I end up flying near both TFR on the same day as everybody did (I did not believe it’s possible but apparently as long as you have FPL filed and you are talking to ATC with transponder code, your VFR life in US is damn easy)

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Apr 14:16
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I haven’t filed a VFR flight plan since 2002 or so. Crossing TFRs (which is rarely necessary) is a notable exception for the flight plan requirement, but is atypical.

I rarely remain in contact with ATC when en route, as it adds little value for me and is often annoying. The GTX 335 transponder I installed in 2019 has so far never squawked anything other than 1200 (VFR). US VFR in most areas does not force you to operate in the ‘system’ to go where you want to go.

Foreflight plus ADS-B IN is a good setup for traffic awareness and collision avoidance, if you can arrange it.

I lived in NY State for 7 years but haven’t been back in decades, except for one or two business trips. That will give you an indication of my enthusiasm for the area

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 Apr 14:47

That what was my impression you never file VFR, the only exception was for flying through TFR (like this one) or going international through ADIZ (you file DVFR)

I used SkyDemon and ForeFlight when flying in US but I suggest getting a trial subscription to ForeFlight?

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Apr 14:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

That’s correct but I’ve never so far found it necessary to cross a TFR. For example, if there is a firefighting TFR the smoke is generally bad enough that it’s the last place I want to be, quite apart from the fire bombers in operation.

Foreflight works well. I keep it on the VFR chart, don’t file flight plans and plan my route in a couple of minutes so as to have a reference line on the chart. It functions without hassle for me, and flying without hassles is my goal.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 Apr 14:54

I agree with everything Silvaire says except the not talking to ATC bit. I always got flight following – good insurance if anything goes wrong, and they will generally call traffic although keeping an eye out and having ADS-B in is a good idea too. They will also tell you if you’ve missed something and are about to fly into something active you shouldn’t. Depends where you fly though. If you’re out in the vast open spaces of the west, no need to bother.

LFMD, France

I learned to fly in some of the busiest US airspace in an aircraft in which Flight Following was not possible (no transponder, no engine driven electrical system). After switching to another plane I used Flight Following occasionally, but since getting ADS-B IN traffic on my Foreflight display I’ve found it more trouble than it’s worth, in general, for my purposes. If I’m flying to a Class C airport I still use it, and when over water sometimes too.

Sky Demon might be suitable as a navigation aid in the US but FF displays the actual sectionals exactly as they are printed. This includes the depiction of terrain and other features as well as, crucially IMHO, the captions and legends that are essential for VFR flying.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

“I am planning a trip to the US in June. I have a PPL in France, I am a Flight Instructor and I have requested an equivalent US licence (PPL only, not Flight Instructor).”
If a 61.75 FAA licence is what you want, your EASA Class 1 or 2 medical is all you need. No FAA Class 3 medical.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Also, it’s probably worth noting that the FAA Flight Review is not a test, nor a validation of your overall PPL skill set. In terms of content it can be whatever you and instructor decide it to be, as long as its 1 hr. on the ground and 1 hr. in flight or more. Your flight review is no different per regulation than any other FAA certificated pilot’s flight review and you will already by that time be an FAA certificated pilot.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 Apr 21:42

Unfortunately, I don’t have an iPad so I’ll carry my Skydemon tablet with me and seek advice there. They must have all that is necessary for a VFR flight either on paper or in the airplane. At least for the couple of flights I will be doing. I will buy an iPad next time if anything is necessary.
And I like to talk to ATC, they’re always here to help !

Not sure what a 61.75 FAA licence is but I asked for a licence that is linked to my easa licence.

LFOZ Orleans, France, France
Sign in to add your message