Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Legality of flying ATC vectors (or directs) below safe cruise min altitudes

In the US, fly runway heading means precisely that, not runway track. This is always important, but especially at airports with parallel runways. One flies the heading without any correction for wind.

KUZA, United States

Yes from reading 5−6−3, it’s clear that US ATC have mandate to vector on takeoff under MVA and also they assume and own obstacles when vectoring under MVA (caveat is that they do as such to try maintaining 1000ft MOC on +/-3nm nearby obstacles, which is sort of point/route MSA in EASA land)

One sometimes get vectors bellow MVA in radar apporaches (I tried ones at Wittering and Gatwick), my understanding these are part of a radar published let down procedure and the headings will allow one to effectively maintain runway track during final & missed rather than maintain runway heading?

The vectors on parallel runway headings for departure seems more related to traffic & wake separation than obstacle separation? I will be curious to hear if that is possible in some speed, obstacle & crosswind configurations?

Last Edited by Ibra at 31 Aug 13:10
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Pirho wrote:

“Fly runway heading” means exactly that, make the runway heading a radar heading, no compensation for wind.

Do you have a reference?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I got “track” specifically requested, and clarified explicitly, recently, first time in 20 years, but can’t recall where. May have been EBAW.

“Fly rwy heading” means flying the heading, NO wind correction, as NCyankee says, quite right.

It does mean that, in a crosswind, a faster aircraft will fly closer to the runway track than a slower one, but in the general case of jets this is fine.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

Do you have a reference?

I guess the best reference is DOC 4444 section 12.3.4.12

EKRK, Denmark

Michael_J wrote:

United Kingdom

Michael_J wrote:

I agree!