Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS jamming from Russia

Since the Ukraine war the GPS jamming from Russia in the Nort of Norway has increased mangfolds. The graph from Nkom shows the number of days with jamming each year.

More than 25% of the time GPS is useless up there

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I wonder why they are jamming it in Norway? I mean, Norway (or anyone else NATO) is hardly a threat, and all modern Western stuff has inertial nav.

In fact I have wondered how much GPS is jammed in the Ukraine theatre. Evidently not all that much, otherwise drones would be useless. Drones have consumer-grade GPS receivers but military stuff has better receivers; I don’t know how they differ.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think I remember @ErlendV saying on Zoom last year that there is permanent gps jamming within x miles of the Russian border..? Maybe it’s always done, but now on a much larger area.

Edit: I suspect it’s border control rather than military, to make it harder for people/goods to cross illegally. According to the comprehensive Norwegian police the border is a line of markers, not a continuous river or fence.

Last Edited by Capitaine at 24 Dec 13:24
EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Not permanently, but quite regularly when flying in the ADIZ (air defense identification zone). I was talking about doing aerial survey work in Finland next to the russian border.

No inertial nav in the Piper Navajo/Chieftain unfortunately. Probably doesn’t help that some of our planes are ex-Finnish air force… (https://images.app.goo.gl/bd9sEVhnKk2SKNRi8)

They normally get bored of jamming us after a few days.

By the way, the border between Finland and Russia have two fences, one of them a mile or so in land on the Russian side. Originally intended to keep people from fleeing more than to keep the fins out.

Last Edited by ErlendV at 24 Dec 14:51
FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message