Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR pre-boarding checklist?

As I learn every lesson something new that is possible to forget or mix up and that I never needed before and that did go wrong already I started to ask myself how others organise pre-boarding items for an IFR flight. Do you have an additional checklist? And what’s in?

I’ve got so far

- flight plan validated and checked for time slot
- flight loaded on iPad without errors, and saved in App
- flight plan(s) printout (for use in plane)
- iPads batteries charged
- iPad charts and maps current and necessary plates and maps downloaded
- handheld radio in bag and battery charged
- approach charts in bag, up-to-date (check AIRAC) and sorted in flight order
- GPS navigators NAV data current or new cards in bag
- pens, papers, my ATIS form
-

Last Edited by UdoR at 30 Dec 22:43
Germany

I see 3 items on flight plan, I never entered one in my iPad or GPS, I put one departure point & one arrival point and take note of my FPL route overhead % for any ETA calculation

Rather than getting obsessed about “transferring the filed flight plan”, I tend to breif every fix or waypoint for approaching my arrival airport: ATC usually throw curved ball not in my flight plan

On SkyDemon or ForeFlight searching for a waypoint becomes a piece of cake, one may fly their filed FPL in case of loss of comms but it’s doable with the info in iPad…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

A torch to check the wings for ice at night.

D&D phone number in phone

Always two iPads

Always life jackets

Downloaded music

Coffee

Cheesy Wotsits.

Empty water bottle….

Some form of appropriate survival gear even if just some good running shoes and a jacket, a good knife and a good lighter.

Since IFR generally equals distance, I also carry spares like spark plugs, tyre seals, tyre weld, a foot pump, a couple of relays and a tool kit and at least 500 Wuros or equivalent

For a full trip, spare tyres etc

Some of it might seem a bit excessive for simple IFR but given you don’t actually know where ATC routing may take you or delay you, those couple of extra kilos are well worth it

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

luckily shades and licence were enough on the bus

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

NOTAMs and latest weather checked

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Do you have an additional checklist? And what’s in?

Kudos to you for the effort and taking preparation seriously. As you progress, you may find that an even shorter checklist will suffice for an entire flight, including the inflight items.
Disclaimer: Obviously very much dependent on individual circumstances from “I fly a plane once a year” to “this is my plane and flying it is like driving my car”, but many checklists are overloaded and hurt more than they help.

Here’s an example workflow.

Time: 20:30

• On the couch and realizing “Ah, flying tomorrow”
  • Open ForeFlight on iPhone
  • Insert Origin – Destination (accept suggested Alternate or pick one)
  • Select one of the available routes and file it (ACK is shown immediately. Additionally FPL ACK and briefing is arriving via email)
  • Add/adjust load for WB
  • Send flight to FF Map
  • View auto generated briefing (refresh next day on the way to airport)
    Done
    Time: 20:33

For airmets/sigmets/plastered sig charts and any tricky or new destinations, I will spend considerably more time going through procedures and mentally noting gotchas. Also taking a closer look at performance for short runways or steeper climb requirements.

Next day “Crew at stations” it’s time for some
“A zero to five B C” & “CRAFT”:
Time: 09:05

• [A]TIS
  • Request Start Up. Start up.
  • Request Clearance “CRAFT”
  • ForeFlight: Amend/Verify Route. Pick Procedures. Create Chart Binder and check if correct charts have auto loaded. Send flightplan to panel via flightstream.
  • [0 Check computer = GPS flightplan / SID correct and indicated where (= HSI on GPS or VLOC?)
  • 1 NAV 1 Set / indicated?
  • 2 NAV 2 Set / indicated?
  • 3 DME Set / indicated?
  • 4 ADF Set / indicated?
  • 5] Squawk / all ok with ATC?
  • [B]riefing
  • ©hecklist
  • Request Taxi
    Time: 09:10

I recommend to start taxi/leave the parking position completely ready and configured for departure.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I would suggest briefing the following:

1) Any DP (departure procedures) including in the US, any ODP or SID
2) Anticipated STAR and approaches at the destination and alternate if required.

KUZA, United States
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message