Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lack of nosewheel steering - longer takeoff and landing roll?

Guess taking off in a strong crosswind will require some degree of brake application, more or less dependent on the aircraft’s rudder(s) effectiveness. I bet some of us might even not realize applying brake to some degree whilst pushing on the rudder pedal…
Since a steered and deflected nose wheel is producing friction drag during that same takeoff, the final braking effect, i.e. the roll length must be about the same.

As usual, there are some exceptions. Clearly remember a takeoff in a 20kts 90° xwind in a LongEze (me sandbagging), and the pilot used several bootfull braking pushes to keep us on the hard surface. Clearly this must have lengthen the takeoff roll by some, but to quantify as to how much compared to a similar, but steered NW aircraft, would be difficult.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

The Bolkow 208 Junior has nosewheel steering, but not differential brakes. Crosswind limit is 20kts.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

As said, no difference in take off distance, as the rudder is quite adequate for directional control with power, or any speed. Indeed, through lots of experimentation over the years, I have found that the rudder is doing most, if not all of the directional control above 20 knots, even if the nosewheel steering seems to be doing something. With amphibious floats, two nosewheels, with some form of shimmy damping, might require some brake to line up on the runway, but after that, rudder is find. I would really avoid using brakes on takeoff.

In my early amphibian days, I was flying a 185 on Wipline amphibs. They have dual 5:00-5 mainwheels. I gave it that last bit of brake to straighten out during the takeoff roll, after I had a bunch of power on. When I did that, the brake pedal went flat. For a moment, I considered aborting, but then steering and stopping could be an embarrassing problem. So I continued, no problem. My destination was a runway, so I set up so the slight crosswind favoured the brake I did have. No problem landing to taxi speed. Once slowed right down, and off on the taxiway, I had to do a couple of 359 degree turns to the apron, but no problem. It turned out that on of the brake pads was worn, so when I pumped that brake, the piston came too far out, and the brake hydraulic fluid pumped past. The other wheel could brake, other than for the loss of the fluid. On amphib floatplanes, I pay extra attention to the condition of the brakes!

When flying floats, the water rudders are to be retracted prior to takeoff. It is common, and happened to me last week, that you begin you takeoff, and as the power comes up, the nose swings left, and the rudder is not effective enough yet, so you have to pop the water rudders down again for a moment. Wind direction is everything to a water takeoff!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Indeed, through lots of experimentation over the years, I have found that the rudder is doing most, if not all of the directional control above 20 knots, even if the nosewheel steering seems to be doing something.

I think this depends on the linkage design between the nose wheel steering and the rudder pedals – the situation is very different depending on whether there are springs in the linkage. With a direct linkage (no springs) I find that lifting the nose wheel off the ground, and more so with a left crosswind, necessitates a fairly dramatic increase in pedal deflection to hold a constant track. This is magnified a bit because I tend to lift the nose wheel a little early and hold AoA until takeoff, the result of a virtually unyielding nose wheel strut design (better to get it out of the picture) and a very powerful elevator. Prior to lifting it off, the nose wheel steering is doing most of the work in countering the left turning tendency.

Conversely with springs in the linkage to the nose wheel, like a Cessna, the rudder can be brought more into play during the early part of the ground roll and the fancy footwork after ‘rotating’ is minimized. This is more like a Grumman or Diamond that has no nose wheel steering.

On topic, I notice that my Diamond DA40 owning friend is hesitant to use a really large rudder deflection during the early part of the takeoff roll. As a result he opens the throttle fairly slowly, which must lengthen the takeoff roll a bit. On the other hand he is doing this on a long runway and might alter his technique on a shorter runway.

My own experience with castering nose wheels is limited but when flying a friends TB 30 Epsilon I did not notice a need for dramatic rudder deflection – I think the engine on that plane is canted to make it feel like a jet so the left turning tendency is minimized.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 20 Feb 01:52

Prior to lifting it off, the nose wheel steering is doing most of the work in countering the left turning tendency.Quote

My experience is different than this. Unless the plane is being wheelbarrowed (which is a whole other discussion). the nosewheel is probably flight enough that it has little friction to the runway to cause much steering effort. My experience flying a Twin Otter is an example of this. It has direct hydraulic nosewheel steering. It’s a bit of a mastery to coordinate all of that, with a real risk of scrubbing the nosewheel if expecting it to control direction. I found it easier to simply center it, and use rudder. If the nosewheel is being held at all light, it’ll just slightly scrub, as it does not lead the steering, but rather is slightly driven left or right. It is a pre landing check that for the Twin Otter, the nosewheel is centered. Otherwise, it could be steered, in which case, so will the plane be when weight is applied to the nosewheel.

The BN Islander has nosewheel steering which is direct to the pedals all the time. Thus, when landing in a crosswind, it’s a bit of a dance, to mostly center the rudder for a moment as the nosewheel contacts the runway, to prevent the lateral lurch if it is dropped on. Again, I held it light as long as possible.

For nosewheel Cessnas, the friction of the steering and shimmy damper is probably about the same as the two steering springs (which is why you can push a pedal, and the nosewheel really does not steer until the plane rolls forward a bit). Thus, there’s no real change in steering control with the nosewheel off, and centered on the centering cam. Indeed, it was common for me in an aft loaded 150, or 172, to allow the nosewheel to come off the ground as the power came up, and the plane began to roll. With 15 flap extended, the nose will probably come off with high power and nearly no forward speed. Thus, I’d fly the entire takeoff run with the nosewheel off, and the only steering being the rudder. there is no apparent change in directional control.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

My experience is different than this. Unless the plane is being wheelbarrowed (which is a whole other discussion). the nose wheel is probably flight enough that it has little friction to the runway to cause much steering effort.

Probably perhaps, but not on my current plane (the one you’ve seen)

On takeoff I can lift the nose wheel of my plane, using its dramatically powerful oversized stabilator at something just above walking pace. It’s way more powerful than a Cessna’s elevator and requires much less stick motion. The nose wheel might be firmly on the ground but the stabilator is so powerful that with prop wash you could slam the tail skid on the ground at very slow airspeed without a lot of stick motion. It’s something of which you have to warn otherwise experienced people if you let them try a takeoff. What I do for takeoff in practice is wait a bit, maybe until 25 or 30 knots airspeed (?) but absolutely nothing (zero) like wheel barrowing, then lift the nose to takeoff attitude and hold it there at constant attitude until the plane lifts off. Depending on how slowly I want to get off the stall warner is helpful here because from the factory it comes on too early (at too small an AoA on all examples of the type built regardless of supposed certification requirements, and not adjustable) but as a benefit it can be used to set a safe takeoff AoA.

When I do this, it is initially necessary to hold firm right rudder pedal pressure (like pushing on a rock) to steer the nose to the right with nose wheel steering while it’s still rolling on the ground. It is direct acting, quite sensitive and responsive. As the nose is lifted at an airspeed well below flying speed (like half) there is substantial P-factor and it takes some attention to add the right additional amount of rudder deflection needed to maintain ground track. This plane has reasonable power, is going relatively slowly without full rudder authority and is not yet ready to fly. After a while you get the feel for the required pedal motion and then gradually releasing it as the plane continues to accelerate on the ground. The initial deflection of the pedals is considerable as the nose wheel is lifted.

As mentioned, the reason for using this technique is that the nose gear strut design is a highly preloaded impact absorber, not a spring. It is topped out by design with 200 lbs of force and on the roll it does not deflect for small bumps like a conventional oleo or car suspension. As a result the plane is jittery at speed with the nose wheel on the ground, but not jittery on the conventional Wittman strut main gear when the nose wheel is lifted.

When landing I try to use a technique which friends kid me by calling a ‘Space Shuttle landing’ That means touching down very much on the main gear first (typically after a steep, draggy Shuttle-emulating approach) then holding the nose wheel off and using aero braking to a low speed before gently putting the nose wheel on the ground at relatively low speed and maybe using some brakes.

The BN Islander has nosewheel steering which is direct to the pedals all the time. Thus, when landing in a crosswind, it’s a bit of a dance, to mostly center the rudder for a moment as the nosewheel contacts the runway, to prevent the lateral lurch if it is dropped on. Again, I held it light as long as possible.

On my plane the same is true. When landing in a slip, with a crosswind, the nose wheel & rudder needs to be centered after landing but before the nose wheel touches down. Otherwise a sideways lurch will occur and it doesn’t impress passengers.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 20 Feb 04:54

DA-40, Cirrus and C400 Corvalis all have 20+ crosswind limits. I have instructed in all of them. When taking off in a significant crosswind, it really takes a conscious effort (for some) to get completely off the brakes as soon as you have rudder steering. Not keeping your feet away will obviously extend the take-off.

huv
EKRK, Denmark
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message