Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week-end? (10-11 June 2023)

etn wrote:

Btw if you want fancy things to do in the region I’d be happy to contribute (and join you) :)

Is there something fancy to be done in the area? I have visited Mulhouse quite a few times, either to go to Basel or just because it is a convenient location without the flugleiter nonsense.
They have been renovating the building and it looks really modern. It appears they would be opening a pilot’s cafe/bar in the near future.

EDMB, Germany

Is the Schlumpf collection still at Mulhouse, if so it’s worth a visit..It did house the biggest collection of Bugattis in the world and has a very interesting back story.

France

@gallois the Schlumpf Car Collection is still there and is open to the public. About 10 km from the airfield and among other cars has 123 Bugattis.

gallois wrote:

If so why didn’t you use the FFA assistance instead of hitching a lift? They would also have arranged transport for your return to pick up the plane.

Simple: I was not aware that this existed. But “hitching a lift” was not too terrible – we had family nearby who came pick us up.

etn
EDQN, Germany

gallois wrote:

Is the Schlumpf collection still at Mulhouse, if so it’s worth a visit..It did house the biggest collection of Bugattis in the world and has a very interesting back story.

It is. There’s also the largest train museum in Europe, Cité du Train. Right next to it there’s a museum on electrical energy. Sounds nerdy but I had too mention it as I am an EE engineer :)
There’s also a great open air museum on Alsace history about 30 mins away from the airfield: Ecomusee d’Alsace

EDIT: from a flying point of view, the Vosges mountains (5-10 mins to the north-west) offer beautiful landscapes to overfly. There used to be an altiport at the Markstein mountain but it closed decades ago. There is also a nice mountain airfield called Albé (LF6721) where we used to land with a Piper Cub and a Jodel D112 about 20 years ago. Was a lot of fun. I have not been there since but it seems PPR and UL-only nowadays, thoufg.

Last Edited by etn at 19 Jun 16:26
etn
EDQN, Germany

@etn wrote:- Simple: I was not aware that this existed. But “hitching a lift” was not too terrible – we had family nearby who came pick us up.

I wondered if perhaps you were unaware of it.
Can you say roughly when this was? The FFA have been trying to be more proactive in letting clubs and members know about this as hopefully it will reduce cases of get home itis.
If it is in the last year or 2 it may mean that more needs to be done.

France

gallois wrote:

Can you say roughly when this was? The FFA have been trying to be more proactive in letting clubs and members know about this as hopefully it will reduce cases of get home itis.
If it is in the last year or 2 it may mean that more needs to be done.

No, it was long long before that. Around 2002-2004 if I remember correctly.

etn
EDQN, Germany

PS. I think this is a good initiative! “get home itis” can be a killer.

etn
EDQN, Germany

Bit late to the thread, flew across to Sywell to visit the Aero Expo.

Was a little disappointed as the item I wanted to buy was sold out by the time I arrived there at 11:30 am on Thursday. Although there was very little going on, still there were some interesting aircraft around such as this Lockheed L12 A Electra

or this Slingsby Type 56

Had the guys from Aeroshine give the aircraft a good detailing, if you’re UK based, I’d highly recommend them, did a good job cleaning the aircraft.

EDL*, Germany
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message