Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Are there any calculators you wish existed? I want to create a few

Are you constantly doing manual calculations and you wish there was an online calculator for it?

The school where I rent the planes have an excel calculator for balance, fuel for C172.

I am willing to create calculators like these that are needed, so send me ideas if you have. Could be for general aviation, commercial, doesn’t matter.

LRPW, LRBS, Romania

SkyDemon ForeFlight and Easy VFR have w&b calculators. WnB pro is an Apple/Android app and undoubtedly there are dozens of others

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

The calculation I happen to do the most is the Top of Descent.

To simplify things I created the table below, which I printed out and store in the cockpit next to my checklists. The table makes some assumptions, mainly the speed, and will have some error when flown at different speeds. Still, the error is low enough (as well as my capability to hold a constant rate of descent in rough air) to be acceptable.

etn
EDQN, Germany

Peter_Mundy wrote:

SkyDemon ForeFlight and Easy VFR have w&b calculators. WnB pro is an Apple/Android app and undoubtedly there are dozens of others

I tried various W&B calculators, including the Skydemon one. The one I find easiest to use is my excel table… call me old fashioned
(also works on ipad)

etn
EDQN, Germany

etn wrote:

I tried various W&B calculators, including the Skydemon one. The one I find easiest to use is my excel table… call me old fashioned

I think that’s what most GA pilots do – that way you know what formulas and numbers are used, and don’t have to verify the APP’s calculations in your spreadsheet. :)

EGTR

Flying is best served by the seat of your pants

Aviation calculators/computers looks like this:

I think an issue here is that people like to have stuff at one place. For instance Sky Demon can be used for most, if not all the calculations etc you would do, at least flying VFR.

What I would like though, is an F-35 style helmet/visor/glasses with data projected onto it.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I like the AircraftPower App. Pick your engine type and operating conditions and it gives you percentage power. It would be nice as @LeSving says if it were incorporated into EFBs, but it’s free as-is so I’m not complaining.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 13 Jul 15:20

The only time I use a calculator in flying is after landing, when I calculate

(86.2 – LFOB) * 3.778

and compare the result to the pump fill

LFOB is the Landing Fuel on Board from the fuel totaliser.

And I have two calcs on my phone; one simple and one very complicated; probably even has an HP35 RPN emulation mode

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would like a calculator which reproduces the (very small and fuzzy) printed takeoff and landing distance graphs that are in my POH.

In principle these could be turned into spreadsheets that would take the relevant variables as inputs and output the result based on the relationships graphed in the POH . Also it would be good to include other factors such as various surfaces, slopes and tailwinds.

Meantime I use my own W&B spreadsheet, where the inputs list all possible things I would normally fly with and output the overall effect:

The X axis is inches and the Y axis pounds weight. The dashed blue lines are the effect of varying fuel levels in main and tip tanks. The continuous coloured lines are the aircraft plus its other contents by category. In this example with 100 USG of fuel, I can’t carry more fuel while staying within the envelope unless I put more weight in the baggage compartment (green line); the graph makes this obvious.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

LeSving wrote:

What I would like though, is an F-35 style helmet/visor/glasses with data projected onto it.

I’m sure someone will sooner or later come out with an app for those fancy Apple augmented reality glasses :D

etn
EDQN, Germany
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message