Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Are there any calculators you wish existed? I want to create a few

Peter wrote:

VR goggles make me extremely disoriented for at least an hour afterwards

VR makes me ill if there is any lag. A decent VR headset does not bother me. I have an original Oculus with a powerful PC and it works great – no motion sickness. DCS World. It’s been collecting dust for a couple of years since I now have the real thing – minus the bullets.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

I found VR goggles make me extremely disoriented for at least an hour afterwards. Some previous thread. Some don’t have that problem.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

etn wrote:

an app for those fancy Apple augmented reality glasses

and even less people looking outside, but instead staring at some virtual world… what a pity, has the real world really become so dull and meaningless? Might as well stay at home and play FS…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Edit: been looking for it on the IOS App Store, seems the app is called “AircraftPower”.

You’re correct! The other name was a typo by me, now fixed. Glad you like it anyway.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 13 Jul 15:20

Silvaire wrote:

I like the EnginePower App

@Silvaire: That’s a terrific app! Thanks for sharing!

I’ve always wanted something like that to double check the % power indicated by the engine monitor.

Edit: been looking for it on the IOS App Store, seems the app is called “AircraftPower”.

Last Edited by etn at 13 Jul 14:41
etn
EDQN, Germany

LeSving wrote:

What I would like though, is an F-35 style helmet/visor/glasses with data projected onto it.

I’m sure someone will sooner or later come out with an app for those fancy Apple augmented reality glasses :D

etn
EDQN, Germany

I would like a calculator which reproduces the (very small and fuzzy) printed takeoff and landing distance graphs that are in my POH.

In principle these could be turned into spreadsheets that would take the relevant variables as inputs and output the result based on the relationships graphed in the POH . Also it would be good to include other factors such as various surfaces, slopes and tailwinds.

Meantime I use my own W&B spreadsheet, where the inputs list all possible things I would normally fly with and output the overall effect:

The X axis is inches and the Y axis pounds weight. The dashed blue lines are the effect of varying fuel levels in main and tip tanks. The continuous coloured lines are the aircraft plus its other contents by category. In this example with 100 USG of fuel, I can’t carry more fuel while staying within the envelope unless I put more weight in the baggage compartment (green line); the graph makes this obvious.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

The only time I use a calculator in flying is after landing, when I calculate

(86.2 – LFOB) * 3.778

and compare the result to the pump fill

LFOB is the Landing Fuel on Board from the fuel totaliser.

And I have two calcs on my phone; one simple and one very complicated; probably even has an HP35 RPN emulation mode

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I like the AircraftPower App. Pick your engine type and operating conditions and it gives you percentage power. It would be nice as @LeSving says if it were incorporated into EFBs, but it’s free as-is so I’m not complaining.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 13 Jul 15:20

Flying is best served by the seat of your pants

Aviation calculators/computers looks like this:

I think an issue here is that people like to have stuff at one place. For instance Sky Demon can be used for most, if not all the calculations etc you would do, at least flying VFR.

What I would like though, is an F-35 style helmet/visor/glasses with data projected onto it.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message