Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week-end? (29-30 July 2023)

1. Opened the hunting season for small rodents living in hangars… (triggered by a recent chat at dusk, which let me see a fair number of unwanted visitors)

Current count is 6 mice, 1 small rat… (to be ctd)

Last Edited by ch.ess at 30 Jul 19:53
EDM_, Germany

2. Short trip to Brno – but not using Turany, but Medlanky.
Departure was an escape from a cell moving in, landing almost the same. In betwen relaxed. As was the return – apart from circling around a few cells.

Interesting uphill landing (890m grass), with a circuit in the corner of the Turany CTR. Requires a tight descending base&final turn. Rwy not as bad as people complain – if you avoid the frist quarter or so of the grass.
Very friendly people and a short trip to down by bike/tram.
Nice city with a few things to do + see. Worth a weekend at least.

Last Edited by ch.ess at 30 Jul 19:53
EDM_, Germany

Removed all the stuff from my airplane before it will get dissambled for transport to the factory for repair, after being hit by the thunderstorm and hail in Northern Croatia LDRI this week :(

EDKV, Germany

I finished despaghettification of the wiring in the RV and finished installing the new engine monitor. Extending the wiring for 8 thermocouples took a couple of days.

With the big jobs out of the way and now onto reassembly stage, the pilot (left seat) came to check out his new toy.

Last Edited by IO390 at 30 Jul 21:29
United Kingdom

steffen wrote:

Removed all the stuff from my airplane before it will get dissambled for transport to the factory for repair, after being hit by the thunderstorm and hail in Northern Croatia LDRI this week :(

Those storms were the reason we were grateful to find hangarage at our stops…. was there more damage to the aircraft than we see there? If it’s just the perspex, can’t it be stripped and replaced locally?

EDL*, Germany
Steve6443 wrote:
Those storms were the reason we were grateful to find hangarage at our stops…. was there more damage to the aircraft than we see there? If it’s just the perspex, can’t it be stripped and replaced locally?

No, the airframe looked like treated with a hammer, some of the hail stones were big as tennis balls, lot’s of damage.

Last Edited by steffen at 31 Jul 18:40
EDKV, Germany

Steve6443 wrote:

Sheits.. Being new to aircraft ownership and as a general overall light aircraft flying operations, it´s learning to see what´s been shared here. I´m not oblivious to being observant to parking aircrafts outside and monitoring local weather, but it´s great being reminded to consider hangar space availability at parking locations when travelling away from home base for extended periods of time. Thanks for sharing!

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Yeager wrote:

Sheits.. Being new to aircraft ownership and as a general overall light aircraft flying operations, it´s learning to see what´s been shared here. I´m not oblivious to being observant to parking aircrafts outside and monitoring local weather, but it´s great being reminded to consider hangar space availability at parking locations when travelling away from home base for extended periods of time. Thanks for sharing!

You are welcome. Sometimes there is no hangar space offered, like in my case, and this was just a once-in-a-century event. Wrong time, wrong place.
Lot’s of damage, military helicopters, planes, cars …

EDKV, Germany

steffen wrote:

You are welcome. Sometimes there is no hangar space offered, like in my case, and this was just a once-in-a-century event. Wrong time, wrong place.
Lot’s of damage, military helicopters, planes, cars …

Darn it – a strike of bad luck! Good luck forward!

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

@Steffen

First of all, I feel sorry for what happened.

I would be interested: did you see this coming? I guess you knew about the generally bad weather forecast in your area. A hail storm doesn‘t come totally out of nowhere. What did you think 2 days prior? 1 day prior? Was there any weather warning for your area? Did you consider relocating the aircraft to a safer place in the 1-2 days prior?

Finally, what does your insurance say about the case?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message