Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR slots (CTOT) in Germany - not notified by Foreflight

HI. Recently I filled IFR flightplan from small flugplatz in Germany (VFR tkof and IFR pickup at one of the points) vie foreflight. All went super but after tkof FIS guy said that my slot is in one hour and I can continue only VFR.

I didn’t got any email on info that my slot is hour later than my planned departure time. How it should work normally? I assume they should call or send the email with slot time?

http://www.Bornholm.Aero
EKRN, Denmark

That would be scandalous. But if course, email is not 100% reliable. So much ends up in spam folders.

That said, autorouter for 10 years, never missed a CTOT message.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I use the Polish Air Nav agency web site to file / manage FPLs: IWB PANSA and the CTOTs show up there; no one ever called me about a CTOT, not that I get many, and the last one I ignored figuring it was severe CAVOK anyway.
Perhaps there is a “view FPL status” section in FF?

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Przemek wrote:

All went super but after tkof FIS guy said that my slot is in one hour and I can continue only VFR.

I would negotiate until cleared to continue as planned

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I did but they allowed me to go VFR only. I got IFR pickup at Danish border w/o problem.

http://www.Bornholm.Aero
EKRN, Denmark

Yes, German ATC (and also others) do enforce CTOTs even on Z departures. It‘s not that you can just depart and you will receice an IFR clearance. You might, but often, you won‘t.

Any towered airfield should enforce a CTOT before departure.

Only on a “farm strip” can you depart despite a CTOT.

Yes, German ATC (and also others) do enforce CTOTs even on Z departures. It‘s not that you can just depart and you will receice an IFR clearance. You might, but often, you won‘t.

Doesn’t a German tower enforce a CTOT even on a Z?

German ATC (and also others) do enforce CTOTs even on Z departures

Do you mean enroute ATC i.e. they force you to land? Which are the others?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We are talking airfields without ATS here.

Only on a “farm strip” can you depart despite a CTOT.

You „can“, but just don‘t expect an IFR clearance from ATC.

Right; that is what I would expect to happen, with a 1 hour CTOT which has not been circumvented by other means e.g. filing a VFR section. But a much shorter one will be within the tolerances on EOBT which after all is the “off blocks” time, which in GA means very little. There must be a tolerance on it.

Also it is country dependent because an IFR clearance is not “permitted” centrally by Eurocontrol. It sounds like some enroute ATC units have a warning that somebody has arrived in their sector outside of some assigned time slot.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@przemek did you raise the issue with foreflight?

always learning
LO__, Austria
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message