Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week-end? (4-5 November 2023)

denopa wrote:

deleted until I find a way to embed a video

Why do you want to embedd a video?
What’s wrong with just a link?

EGTR

Pig wrote:

How’s your SR22 doing Antonio

Not that well…still flying the good’ol P210 around! No international trips since summer…mostly keeping local on meetups and astronomical trips. No hunting.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

The forum software supports embedding Youtube and Vimeo, only.

Here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Pig wrote:

Hit birds, prob crows, on climb out in Norfolk. Around 2000 feet and between dusk and night so a bit a surprise. Hell of bang. Turns out they hit on the underside of the wing root and the wheel pants. No damage but gives you plenty to think about.

Definitely something I think about on every takeoff. My home airport is full of birds, mostly crows, who seem to be very intelligent. Not sure if they are communicating with the other birds to let them know to stay away from the big, noisy, clumsy “birds” – I hope so! Even a small bird in the wrong place would cause us to have a bad day. Thankfully the bigger birds like the herons move slowly and are quite visible – I would not want to share my cockpit unexpectedly with one.

No idea if it helps, but I have a “wig-wag” setup to continually flash my landing lights in an attempt to get those critters to move out of the way.

Last Edited by eurogaguest1980 at 05 Nov 06:59
Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

IiRC the FFA did a study and found the number of bird strikes have massively increased since Covid.
The believed reason being that birds born during covid had no sense of what an aircraft was so just thought of them as just another bird. I have seen no research about whether bird strikes have gradually decreased since. But many small airfields have not returned to pre covid levels, yet.
So perhaps many birds born since covid are still blissfully unaware of what happens if they decide to say hello to the bigger bird.

France

Flew from Bremen to EDWR on the small German North Sea island of Borkum.
Had about 2 hours time on the ground which was enough to grab some bikes from the airfield and ride to the town centre. Lighthouse is an impressive 60 m tall.

Weather was challenging, couldn’t have made this without going IFR. But very satisfying to cross through layers and find VMC on top.

Also, full rainbow on the apron at Borkum:

Last Edited by Alpha_Floor at 06 Nov 09:58
EDDW, Germany

Great rainbow. I rarely see both ends at the same time. Did you investigate if there was a pot of gold each end?😁

France

Passed my SE IR skills test. Spent a week at the ATO doing the mandatory 10 hours at the end of the CB IR route. Very pleased – it took me the best part of 14 months to do the theory exams and the ‘informal’ training outside the ATO. Looking forward to putting it into practice. Made the most of it on the way home – into Class A to fly one of the Farnborough STARs into Fairoaks.

EGTF, United Kingdom

Indochine wrote:

Passed my SE IR skills test

Excellent! Well done Indochine

Just a local again for me, to look at some hillforts (no decent photos)

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Indochine wrote:

Passed my SE IR skills test.

Congrats!

EGTR
Sign in to add your message