Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Safety Seminar

I have deliberately avoided clickbaiting on the thread title and this first post.

I just saw an online video on flight safety with two parts:

a) Factual with description of some GA accidents.
b) More personal about ADM and pilot’s attitude.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

THis is without a doubt the GA safety seminar that has caused the most emotional+rational impact on me in my 40Y aviation career.

The first part is by Juan Browne (Blancolirio) who is a long-distance ATPL and tends to be quite factual in his regular account of aviation accidents on Youtube. Special mention is given to a type of accident I feel really close about due to a prior personal close call incident I posted about herein.

The second part is by Mike Patey who is a very experienced GA pilot at all levels (from bush to small jets and rotary wing) as well as an engineer. He runs regular online videos on his airplane construction, modification, operation as well as non-aviation engineering exploits…back to work!

It is the second part by Mike Patey that really touched me since it is extremely close due to multiple reasons. Those who know me will know why. If you want to skip directly it starts at 01:07

It is a very long and tough video, so I recommend you do not go for it unless you have one hour at least and you are feeling on a better than average mood.

Spoiler alert: lest my words deter you completely, Mike backs it up with some great examples of happy-ending stories.

This is for the serious flyer who wants to enjoy flying to the extreme but also wants to take safety dear to his heart. I avoided clickbaiting and will not post the opening screen to avoid attracting those who’d rather take it lightly or who don’t feel in the mood.

Enough conditioning: I’ll leave you to it

[Edit: I tried to post a link to the video without using the youtube forum functionality, but the result is the below which is OK with my wish to avoid unwanted viewing: don’t fix it]

[Edit: you can also skip the first 28 mins with just a view of the venue]

Last Edited by Antonio at 04 Nov 09:02
Antonio
LESB, Spain

A n updated version where the above-recommended cut has already been done for you has been posted by Mike Patey himself

Last Edited by Antonio at 06 Nov 15:48
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Thanks Antonino.

I listened to the first half on my commute to work this morning. Going to listen to the second half on my way home this evening (just in case you thought no one was paying attention )

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Thx @dublinpilot , I am aware it takes some effort. I must admit I was starting to think I was a bit too effective at deterring NIP’s from reading this thread as intended.
NIP= non-interested-parties

Antonio
LESB, Spain

I met Mike at Oshkosh 2022 early one morning before the show started. He was at his company’s booth – they make aircraft tugs. Very nice guy.

I enjoyed his YT safety presentation, and I agree with his sentiment that we need to do a better job of looking after each other.

NGL, his engine failure incident was a little disappointing. Seems he installed a replacement turbine engine of dubious provenience 3 days before flying the aircraft to Oshkosh – kind of risky – that’s something that I’d say “dude, do you really want to do that?”

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Have tried it a couple of times. I like Juan Browne as he is dry and factual, and brings a lot of good experience to the table. I find Mike Patey a bit too aww schucks in his homey style, and despite good intentions (mine) bailed as I like safety information to be presented in a factual, structured way.

The CAA would require supplemental safety factors and charts back in the day of twin piston AOC operations. One very intuitive chart, but I couldn’t find an example, is a Weight Altitude Temperature chart. In effect creates a safety envelope, and operating outside it was prohibited.

I learned about DA early in flying trying to ferry a C172 with an electronic writing display under the wing. The ferry was from Denver to Vancouver BC. I took off at Denver with the stall warner going, did a low level circuit and landed, and walked away. I had taken precautions, early morning, below gross, etc no way was I going to nurse it over the passes using thermals, or more likely, without thermals but dawn departures or evening/night VFR over the mountains. Another pilot did manage it and I often wonder how he did it. Perhaps short two hour VFR legs with minimum fuel reserves, taking a week to do it.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Watched Mike’s video on monday evening, it was rivetting.

@eurogaguest1980 From what I picked the turbine was refurbished by P&W that he has had in Turbulence since converting it to turbine years back.

This video also struck me about poor decision-making and general attitude (CFI and otherwise):

[ YT URL fixed – see here ]

ESMK, Sweden

Just watched the last video.

The instructor’s behaviour is appalling, but no worse than the behaviour of a DPE (visiting the UK from Florida in 2004) who did my US PPL. And only a bit worse than the behaviour of a UK IR examiner who did the “170A” IR test in 2011 who was known in the industry to be “mad as a hatter”. And the last was not the only one; one of the CAA IR examiners used to debrief people until 10pm (flight landed say 2pm) and I was told that if I got him I should report “sick” until I got somebody else. The FTO (the one which went bust recently) had no choice but to use this guy.

There are many weird personalities in GA. We have had a crazy instructor thread too

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message