Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ATC responses

10 Posts

Really not sure where this should be posted but I am sure Peter will fix if necessary.
Couple of weeks ago flying north in class G, I had to free call an RAF station which I was due to pass over in about 15 miles. Standard RT phraseology used but the response was, to say the least, unusual.
“You are not my responsibility call another station”
I was VFR way above the MATZ so no issue for me but what a response.

UK, United Kingdom

MOR?
You are free to pass them without a call, but as there’s a multitude of traffic they may have, that can cause you and them an issue, how are you supposed to know there will be no conflict without calling?
I think that’s spectacularly poor form.
Technically we can fly through MATZ right up to the ATZ. So if we all exercise that right are they ok with that too?

United Kingdom

Civil servants are allowed bad days too

If radiating A+C minimum, the radio call is just a gesture of politeness.

I usually get the exact opposite, in that ATC for a MATZ think their area of responsibility is much higher, e.g.:

• Last week, 1500ft above Brize Norton: “you have entered my airspace without clearance”
  • This summer, 500ft above Boscombe Down: “turn heading 030”
  • Last year, 1000ft above Benson: “you need to route east or west of my ATZ”

You’ve got time to prepare a cutting reply for the next time it happens

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Capitaine wrote:

Last week, 1500ft above Brize Norton: “you have entered my airspace without clearance”
This summer, 500ft above Boscombe Down: “turn heading 030”
Last year, 1000ft above Benson: “you need to route east or west of my ATZ”

Are those heights/altitudes above the ground or above the ATZ / CTR?

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

Are those heights/altitudes above the ground or above the ATZ / CTR?

Above the ceiling of the MATZ/CTR, so not in their airspace at all. E.g. at 5,000 feet when their maximum vertical extent is 3,500ft.

Last Edited by Capitaine at 09 Nov 13:18

Capitaine wrote:

I usually get the exact opposite, in that ATC for a MATZ think their area of responsibility is much higher, e.g.:

Last week, 1500ft above Brize Norton: “you have entered my airspace without clearance”
This summer, 500ft above Boscombe Down: “turn heading 030”
Last year, 1000ft above Benson: “you need to route east or west of my ATZ”

I might be missing something, but doesn’t Brize Norton have a CTR and don’t you need a clearance in the ATZ of a towered airport?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

I might be missing something

No, it’s my lack of precision. I was x hundred feet above the top of their airspace in all three cases, so not subject to them at all.

So the lesson is…

Warning: slight thread drift alert.

One’s gotta be real careful before any posting on EuroGA, for this is a respectable, responsible, and highly knowledgeable forum.
All posts will be de facto scrutinized, then subject to qualified expert opinions, advices, judgements, interpretations, corrections, all as required to satisfy the forum’s public image as set forth in the above sentence

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

@Fenland_Flyer that is atrocious but I have heard worse, although mostly not in the UK. You should name the airfield

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter the airfield is a bit close to home and my reg. is well known so I will keep quiet on this. I hope everyone understands.

UK, United Kingdom
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message