Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week-end? Jan 4-6 2024

Forging ahead on the thread drift…

Yes and no @eurogaguest1980… thing is using the DABS gets you covered since it is more restrictive by showing all zones, even those not active anymore:

NOTAMs will be adapted accordingly should improvements to the airspace take place
The DABS incorporates NOTAM information only at the time of its publication. Airspace restrictions, which are not used (released prematurely) or have expired at the time of updating, will not be indicated in the next publication.
In between the fixed publication times NOTAMs will be updated without delay. This could lead to discrepancies between the NOTAM and DABS information

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Learned something new again, never heard about dabs. And while all the rest of the world including google thinks it’s about drugs, i.e.some cannabis in concentration, only the Swiss airmen know that it stands for Daily Airspace Bulletin Switzerland

By the way thanks @Buckerfan for the insight. I would fail any ramp check. Although I do have the first aid kit and check it regularly.

Last Edited by UdoR at 05 Jan 23:09
Germany

UdoR wrote:

Learned something new again, never heard about dabs. And while all the rest of the world including google thinks it’s about drugs, i.e.some cannabis in concentration, only the Swiss airmen know that it stands for Daily Airspace Bulletin Switzerland

This is more commonly known as an “Airspace Use Plan” and is published by several countries. It is very useful for planning purposes, but I don’t see how you can be required to use it operationally as it is a plan and you still have to check with FIS for airspace activation.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Dan wrote:

Forging ahead on the thread drift…

Yes and no @eurogaguest1980… thing is using the DABS gets you covered since it is more restrictive by showing all zones, even those not active anymore:

NOTAMs will be adapted accordingly should improvements to the airspace take place
The DABS incorporates NOTAM information only at the time of its publication. Airspace restrictions, which are not used (released prematurely) or have expired at the time of updating, will not be indicated in the next publication.
In between the fixed publication times NOTAMs will be updated without delay. This could lead to discrepancies between the NOTAM and DABS information

Very interesting. Does anyone know if there is a comprehensive list of what’s needed in each country for each type of aircraft?

I found a 304 page document here which is more of a training document for people conducting ramp checks, but it seems to be more focused on the airlines.

https://safa.easa.europa.eu/site/safalib

Seems if CH can require a DABS, then other countries might also have local requirements to “pass” a ramp check.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

I’ve nothing to contribute to the discussion regarding ramp checks, but I did go flying today – to Cardiff and back. No PPR, low fees (paid via Aeros).

IFR, FL100, with a radar vectored ILS. Low freezing level today of 3,000 ft or so. Very thin layer at 4,000 ft or so; fairly solid but had holes in the right places. Back via Cardiff SID, Bristol at FL80 and then CPT 1V arrival into Farnborough for a visual approach to Fairoaks (and so basically CAS the whole way).

Sunset looked good, landed just before sunset.

EGTF, United Kingdom

UdoR wrote:

DABS is super helpful, as you can see at the first glance which areas are going to be active. Skydemon does a pretty good job of parsing NOTAMS and highlighting active areas as well.

Germany

Skydemon does a pretty good job of parsing NOTAMS and highlighting active areas as well.

Agreed. It usually is on the conservative side, as showing deactivated areas still being active. Beware, as once in a while an active area will be on the DABS and not show on the SD… so, to be 100% sure, use the DABS.
As for the guys playing airliner (IFR), this is of no concern since ATC will have you avoid all these possibly nasty areas

Last Edited by Dan at 07 Jan 21:48
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

As for the guys playing airliner (IFR)

IFR – I Fly Racetracks

Germany

In the proper UK RAF PPL language it means I follow railways

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Went flying with the Ximango over the Hungarian Baranya area.
It was amazing to see how smoke from local house woodstoves was covering certain areas and impacting visibility, the green deal is still far off it seems in some places :-)
Mating with a Slovenian BN-2 modified as a cropduster, maybe a BN-2A Mk III Trislander will be concieved :-)

Last Edited by Vref at 08 Jan 10:09
EBST
Sign in to add your message