Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft this weekend Jan 13-14, 2024

Wonderful pics as usual, Dan. Especially Cap de Formentor. Thanks for that LEPT pic with the arrow. I’ll print it out and have it available on board until my new glasses are ready.

Talking about that pic, it sadly shows the lack of rain we have had. Normally at this time these fields would be a lush green. Many farmers did not even bother to plant anything, which I had never heard of before.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

@aart great, and when dry, a retractable friendly ‘potrero’. Am guessing for us blue woad painted non schengen visitors there is a need to stop off at an intermediate spot, eg LELL, also to tanker some AvGas?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

@RobertL you would indeed have to make a stop before at a Customs field in France or Spain. No fuel at LEPT, other than Mogas at a gas station 200m away.

Unfortunately, I would not recommend LEPT for anything other than ULM, “Van’s like Dan’s” or a certified STOL aircraft. Yes, there is leeway beyond both thresholds but they come with some gripes, either an obstacle or a pretty stony surface.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Thanks for the hint @aart since I was almost on my way to you ;-) Great how you meet on regular basis, a big chunk of what flying is about IMHO…

EDLE

@aart you would have thought with all this modern technology, someone would have invented a way to shift rain from the place where they have too much of it (such as here) to another.🙂 I have spent the last 2 weeks with garden under water and chez nous looked like an island in the middle of the valley. I can only describe it as, although our hard runway enables me to fly and take photos, someone has put the Super Guépard out of action by bending the landing gear. I can only assume it is down to a hard landing, but no one has owned up to it. 😟

France

I went to a frozen lake again. Cold, but really nice!

I flew up, and my friend was PIC on our way back.

On friday, I had a CB-IR student in a DA-40.

Last Edited by ErlendV at 14 Jan 13:00
FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

Just did a short flight between the showers to run the oil warm.

EDWF, Germany

Dan wrote:

A couple pics, yesterday, leaving CH, the Tour d’Aï and de Mayen (which I used to fly inverted thru in the Cap-10B when younger…)

That is amazing to see Dan.

I learned to fly at Bex Aerodrome in the early 2000s, which as you probably know is less than 5 NM from there. On my first lesson the instructor flew us between these same 2 little peaks at very low level (albeit blue side up in an ancient Jodel). I thus assumed this such activities were ‘normal’. It took a couple of close calls soon after I got my PPL to discover that this is not the case if you want to keep flying for a long time.

All trainee pilots should read The Killing Zone, about how newbie pilots kill themselves at a great rate between 50 and 350 total time. Very sobering.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Slight thread drift alert…
@Buckerfan, I think we’ll need to share (or better, each his own…) some glass of adult beverage next time we meet… small world indeed

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I was just trying to check what’s going on in @Dan’s backyard while he was checking @aart’s backyard.

Last Edited by Emir at 15 Jan 08:28
LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message