Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft this weekend Jan 19-20, 2024

Finally all stars aligned and I came back in the air again for some instrument flying. Passed my assessment flight today (CBIR training), so that the whole of my previous IFR training is now accepted for the last “inhouse” step in the ATO and I can proceed further. Another checkbox filled.

I do enjoy the training and I really appreciate all the stuff that I know and that I’ve learned, in particular with respect to the weather here in Europe. However I have to admit that CB-IR is way more time consuming than BIR just because you have to fly all this – instead of doing some homebrew sim and just do the procedures. There can be anything with real airplanes. Six weeks earlier I did a (VFR) familiarization session for a Cessna 172 (mostly to get familiar with the Garmin stuff like the GFC500 and G5), but then the shop found a crack in the engine and it is grounded for an unknown period. So I had to change horse again. Yesterday we also wanted to fly but the runway was iced up. After a runway light was hit because of the unreliable breaking action we decided not to try the same ourselves. All adds up. And weather is challenging, too. So it’s really a coin with two sides. I have made quite some experience with weather and in weather (including ice), but it comes at a cost of time. What is invaluable is the decision making process together with my IRI about what to do in the particular weather situation regarding my home airfield. You don’t get this sitting at the SIM.

So all is settled for yet another BIR/CBIR discussion

But what have you guys been doing this weekend?

Germany

Just to add a photo to my report, I didn’t really have time for photos, I was hand flying practically all the time and was even wearing that ugly instrument flying cap.

In the clear air we could even see the alps from mid Germany in 5000 feet. Spectacular! The time slot was just perfect, we started after morning fog dissipated and about 20 minutes after landing low clouds in 500 feet came in.

Germany

Too much snow and ice on the runway and the operator didn’t do much to get rid of it – they just issued a NOTAM. Hope tomorrow will be ok.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Repositioned the 80hp flying garden shed to maintenance. Nice winter flight.
And compressions are very good 😌.

https://youtube.com/shorts/QO2a9qSrP44?si=IxIqwzC31Yo8T4XM

Last Edited by Snoopy at 21 Jan 17:17
always learning
LO__, Austria

Emir wrote:

Too much snow and ice on the runway and the operator didn’t do much to get rid of it – they just issued a NOTAM

same thing over here, luckily I can always count on the UL community and their hospitality

Poland

My plane is having its annual done, over next 5 days.

Did the compression today too; most cylinders are around 77/80 with one 70/80. Borescoped pics all look fine.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Did a local flight with a good pilot friend just to see the scenery covered in snow, got a few nice pics. They were still clearing the snow on some taxiways but the runway was of course clear since the morning.

ELLX, Luxembourg

Did a combined post maintenance and training flight after doing some modifications to the avionics. Upgrade to GTX330ES and exchanging the vacuum attitude gyro.

EDAQ, Germany

Got the plane out for the first time since mid-December due to holiday travel and terrible weather the last month. Captured the last remnants of snowfall over Rotterdam before another wave came through.

EHRD, Netherlands

I took the TR skill test in Genoa on Friday.
On Saturday, I did my first flight as PIC, from Genoa to Aosta and back.
On Sunday, I flew from Genoa to Valencia and then to Portimão.
Portimāo is a pretty short runway for a freshly rated pilot. My hands are still shaking.
I am yet to fly solo. So far, experienced pilots have been in the right seat.
It is not easy after a 1.5-year break from flying and a 3.5-year break from flying single pilot.
Proline21 is not easy after 15 years of Garmin.

From Aosta:

LPFR, Poland
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message