Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft the weekend of Jan 27th-28th 2024

Yeager wrote:

Cascais-Cascais (LPCS), with a friend.

you have rebased?

EETU, Estonia

Did another super boring instrument training session.

That is Mannheim City where we departed from and Ludwigshafen on the other side of the Rhine river. Absolutely beautiful night conditions.

The red reflections are from the beacon. The iPhone takes a second and it’s near impossible not to see it.

Last Edited by UdoR at 27 Jan 21:24
Germany

For the curious reader: EDFM is in the last picture, within the lower third of the red flash of the beacon (boomerang shaped).

This is a real concern, because it is just barely visible in the night. Most of the most brilliant lights belong to BASF. An IFR night approach is a lot easier than VFR night because you won’t see it before turning final. In fact you head for the darkest place within the bright boundary of the city and there it is. You can see the runway lights in the picture but only if you know where to look.

Last Edited by UdoR at 28 Jan 12:58
Germany

Even during the daytime, I hated taking off from runway 27 back when I was based there.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Very frustrated to not flying again this week. Cavok, few wind, 1036hpa…
Last week it was because of a failing battery – or really cold temp, which led to rally not starting at 8 for our weekly mountain flying lesson. This morning, after starting the rally, a metallic rattle noise when taxiing. After an acceleration stop, it seems to be resonating along with some engine rpm. Anyway I cancelled the flight and wasn’t able to get another plane… I’m fed up with clubs, really…

Last Edited by greg_mp at 28 Jan 13:56
LFMD, France

That’s sad. Lots of people are wishing the same, every day…

My Annual is done, no issues, gear fully lubed again, no wear, no play, gear doors nicely rigged up, good for another year.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The weather around here was just too good. So I took the Fuji up for a spin (not literally though).

The weather was silky smooth. Even down low. The whole day! A little bit if haze in the valleys, but totally clear in Odenwald.

Turning base for runway 23 at Mainbullau, EDFU.

With an open airfield, discounted fuel and an open restaurant, is was very busy, albeit mostly with microlight stuff.

Michelstadt.

No skyline in the background today, as the high pressure area is getting „older“ and haze is becoming more and more.

Aircraft parking at Mainz.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

ivark wrote:

ivark27-Jan-24 18:5111
Yeager wrote:
Cascais-Cascais (LPCS), with a friend.
you have rebased?

Not yet, not easy. She´s still hangered up in Santarem, where we flew from together, but I fly her to Cascais when the weather is nice (most of the time..) and I´m at home. Much nicer feeling to have the bird 14 minutes away as opposed to 1h+.

greg_mp wrote:

Nice Rallye, the shoes are not so common…

Thanks, yeah the shoes on Rallye´s are a rare sight now a days, I suppose, but also generally useless for what most Rallye´s are used (flight training, glider towing, banner towing, etc.) Mine came with them on, and it defo makes the Rallye look somewhat more sleek (as on most other airplanes I suppose!). She´s in good shape for her age, and I try to maintain her like that.

boscomantico wrote:

boscomantico28-Jan-24 15:0517
The weather around here was just too good. So I took the Fuji up for a spin (not literally though).

What a unique airplane – love it!

Last Edited by Yeager at 28 Jan 19:44
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Took advantage of high pressure to fly to Sion again for a quick ski, this time Grimentz and Crans Montana.

The alps in their glory.

Mont Blanc.

The Rhone Valley beckons and the cloud stopped at the entrance.

Montreux is behind the cloud.

Arriving at Sion

Top of the Crans Montan Plaine Morte Glacier

The pistes are compact but well covered.

There’s lots of wind farms in France.

Spot the Ryanair making an approach into Vatri

I flew with a visiting German friend over the mountains and into the desert to check out an available hangar. Up to 8500 ft and back down with only a short period of cruise flight in the middle. There are no hangars available closer and he wants to fly his Mooney transatlantic again, leaving it here for a year or so to take several planned excursions over multiple US trips. If he does, it we’ll fly it over transatlantic together.

Strangely, the fairly remote airport where the hangar is located has scheduled service from Germany (airliner first then a twice daily commuter connection). He’d be able to walk across the ramp to his hangar after deplaning and the hangar is only $250/month, in a dry desert climate that’s good for storing a plane. Also hotels not too far away and rental cars if needed. He’d store a motorcycle in the hangar too. Now we just have to figure out how to avoid local property tax if he keeps it there.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Jan 21:25
Sign in to add your message