Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Socata owners meet-up Popham EGHP 27-28 August 2016

I will probably turn up, though most likely by car.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Which day? Am going to try to join in too if I can.

UK, United Kingdom

From the list I have seen, it is about 10 planes, 50/50 on 27th and 28th, with only one staying both days!

Administrator

Just looked it up… too far to drive

Has anyone been there lately and seen the surface of the runway and the taxiways?

Administrator

@Peter I have been a few times last time was 2014. It has always been very well kept they have some interesting types operating out of there. Have only landed on 08/26.

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Was there yesterday, used 08, surfaces fine but stick to taxiways marked by cones.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I registered and am toying with flying over if the weather is good.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

If I go, it will be Saturday.

I can’t “register” because I got banned from posting there by the Politburo Chairman in 2008

Administrator

We are thinking Saturday also.

There is a lot of good info on the socata dot org site, the clunky forum interface lets it down a bit though. I don’t think I could persevere enough with that forum long enough to get barred.

One thing I will say for the Socata range is they do get non pilots excited, people really seem to like the shape of them. I’ve lots of people in the flying club asking me for a spin which wouldn’t be the case I had a similar value Cessna or Piper.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

I drove down there yesterday. Apart from the one G-JUFS TB9 guy who initiated it and who lives nearby, nobody turned up by the time I went back. The cloud was a bit low though – around 1000ft. I hope they get more today, though the wx doesn’t look better. Not sure how one would get in there in these OVC conditions and it is a long way from the coast to use the obvious method of descending over the sea.

Frankly I would not have chosen Popham for a fly-in. There is really absolutely nothing to do, nothing anywhere near it, and the food options are awful. Well, they have a really good tyre outfit nearby, which I checked out when I found a partly flat tyre and one very kind local helped me with a pump and showed me where it is.

One other TB9 was based there

They have loads of parking. I was told they once got 600 microlights. So clearly it is very popular with some people. There is a large number of hangars.

Administrator
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message