Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft the weekend of Feb 10 2024

UdoR wrote:

I do hope there will be a “return of investment” on some occasion

I believe that solid instrument training for the EASA part-FCL Instrument Rating (IR) is one of those things that you will likely never realize the value of – because you´ve now simply acquired and proven the skills to fly IMC worldwide. The day you inadvertently end up IMC you´ll be able to calmly exit this condition – provided that you of course maintain proficiency.
I think the main question to ask, as opposed to the value of the IR training, is how you´re going to maintain proficiency, unless you fly for a living (IFR/IMC), it´s hard to maintain proficiency. The ability to pass a yearly LPC is what it is!

Last Edited by Yeager at 13 Feb 08:52
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Congratulations UdoR and Emir.

Emir, let us know how the sim went. I found it stressful in the beginning. Hope you have a good copilot.

LPFR, Poland

Yeager wrote:

I think the main question to ask, as opposed to the value of the IR training, is how you´re going to maintain proficiency, unless you fly for a living (IFR/IMC), it´s hard to maintain proficiency.

You’re definitely right on this. The majority of IFR GA/PPL flights are in nice weather for various reasons (the purpose of flight is to go somewhere with nice weather, risk analysis, lack of anti-icing capabilities, lack of high altitude capabilities etc.). However, the departure and arrival can be IMC while the rest of the flight is on-top in VMC which opens opportunity for many not-so-capable aircrafts but requires capable pilot. Flying ME aircraft I’m not concerned too much about departure and arrival weather as long as it’s not TS and it’s within required minima, so I use such opportunities to practice. However, prolonged cruise in IMC in usually related to icing and it’s very often beyond of GA aircraft capabilities.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

UdoR wrote:

I do hope there will be a “return of investment” on some occasion or the other that I wouldn’t have done without the rating.

I’m sure there will be. For me, the major advantages of the IR are not being able to fly an approach to 200’ (which I believe I have only done once outside of training) or punching through clouds for hours on end (which you only do occasionally). Instead they are:

1) Having much less worry about the weather conditions when making a flight. Very few of my IFR flights could not have been done VFR, but they would have been much more difficult, possibly riskier and with uncertainty if the flights could actually be completed as planned.

2) Enormously simplifying the planning and execution of longer flights.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Congratulations Udo!

I had to look up a Saab 340. Nice

In other news, some progress: I’ve received quotations and authorised the repair on my ground damage.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Congratulations UdoR and Emir! Completely agree with what Emir and A_A wrote on the value of IR – I get most “return on investment” out of the humble BIR from planning and executing flights that would not work VFR (at least not for my experience level/risk acceptance) but I don’t even begin planning if it looks like the entire flight will be IMC. Different story for more experienced pilots and/or professional equipment of course.

EBGB EBKT, Belgium

Congratulations Udo and Emir !

Udo, I would be grateful for a short recap of your IR training when you have time.

LFOU, France

Honestly I’ll let time decide on that and will give a follow-up in a few years time. I’m a quick learner, but still it burst my imagination that this rating could really involve so much time and money.

The 1st trip that takes some planning, booking of non refundables, and is over a few days, (meaning the return Wx is not so guaranteed ) and you’ll be sold.
You’ll remember the times you’ve cancelled, and the times where it was less than enjoyable during your stay, worrying if you’ll get home as planned.

United Kingdom

Yeager wrote:

I think the main question to ask, as opposed to the value of the IR training, is how you´re going to maintain proficiency

I think this is achieved in flying AMAP (as much as possible)

Germany

How brilliant, Udo

Yes you need to use that bit of paper! I have rarely done VFR on mainland Europe since I got the IR in 2006. IFR transforms the whole landscape of flying. ATC now works for you and in practical terms you have a whole-route clearance, so apart from detours around mil stuff etc you “just fly”. The job becomes mostly an exercise in weather versus aircraft performance.

VFR remains a tool for odds and ends, for flying over the Alps if you want close-up photos, etc.

IFR is a great addition to the toolbox.

Fly an IAP every time you can.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message