Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft the weekend of Feb 10 2024

Huge congrats @UdoR! This is a big achievement and will definitely open doors for you. Also agree with everything @Peter says above.

Yes icing is a problem in the winter, but the reality is many flights can be completed more safely and less stressfully under IFR rather than scud running and risking that somewhere along your route the weather is worse than forecast. Don’t be afraid to spend time in IMC, and always file IFR unless it just isn’t practical. Pick fields with IAPs when you plan trips where possible, and fly them whenever you can.

This forum has also been a great resource for me transition to European IFR and the various rules from one country to the next!

Enjoy!

EHRD, Netherlands

Before I start a specific thread on the subject, all the fantastic advantages offered by flying IFR as stated here make me once more wonder… why did all, and by all I mean about 20 of them myself included, ex ATPLs still active in GA flying, let their IR privileges lapse…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Perhaps because they had been there, done that, got the T shirt.🙂
Congrats Udo. The getting the IR is an achievement and an experience in itself.

Last Edited by gallois at 13 Feb 16:48
France

Before I start a specific thread on the subject, all the fantastic advantages offered by flying IFR as stated here make me once more wonder… why did all, and by all I mean about 20 of them myself included, ex ATPLs still active in GA flying, let their IR privileges lapse…

Probably because they enjoy the freedom of flying on nice days, hence most buy an RV. And they know the specific hazards like icing. There is/was one pilot, @chrisparker (who I believe is no longer flying) who remained IFR, but he had an aircraft for it. And many did not have SE IR either so would need to do the SE IR checkride, which is a hassle which in reality will need specific training to pass.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jujupilote wrote:

Udo, I would be grateful for a short recap of your IR training when you have time.

Here you are

Germany

@Peter
“..And many did not have SE IR either so would need to do the SE IR checkride, which is a hassle which in reality will need specific training to pass…”

There are ways to relatively easily regain the IR (license endorsement), without having to do a designated/standalone IR LPC/LST. You can do the IR revalidation/renewal in conjunction with a Type Rating LPC where you get both the TR/IR and separate IR renewed or revalidated at the same time, this does require the Type Rating provider to have an ATO allowing for the IR revalidation/renewal, which not all have (eg. FlightSafety FAB did not have this last time I checked (2023)). I’m not strong in this field, but strongly believe this is the case, in one way or the other.

Last Edited by Yeager at 13 Feb 18:11
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Good work @Emir too! I remember the Saab 340 as a relatively comfortable turboprop for passengers with that active noise cancelling system in the cabin, hope it extends to you two up front! Or did they pull the system out, as freight may not really appreciate the added silence?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

active noise cancelling system in the cabin

@Aart, I remember that ANR too… but it was on the 2000, and as such was not always working.
As to the 340, I positioned more than once between GVA & ZRH or vv, sometimes in the cabin… and my recollection, seated between the props, was of being subjected to the loudest xxxx (censored) noise ever
Even the FDK positions were pretty loud.

Last Edited by Dan at 13 Feb 19:15
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Or did they pull the system out, as freight may not really appreciate the added silence?

I think I’ll keep my A20

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Congrats @UdoR, it’s a whole different world up there in the clouds!

Sign in to add your message