Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft the weekend of Feb 24 2024

Congratulations Emir, sounds like a tough skill test.

It was, especially because I expected something else, more like checking if we know sufficiently about the systems, failures callouts and troubleshooting. And the examiner said that he was sure we learned all these stuff but he wanted to check a bit more, closer to real scenario when bad stuff happens.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

It was, especially because I expected something else, more like checking if we know sufficiently about the systems, failures callouts and troubleshooting. And the examiner said that he was sure we learned all these stuff but he wanted to check a bit more, closer to real scenario when bad stuff happens.

Usually the EASA LST is scheduled at min 5 hours (which I thought was min scheduled, but I´m possibly wrong) for 2 students. The fastest I´ve ever done an EASA LPC (not LST) was 1h27m (GVI).
Regarding the examiners focus. Looking at the EASA MPA Skills Test Type Rating the substantial part of the form involves actual hands on flying of the aircraft for the various check points. Section 2 and a great part of section 3 and the rest as well. Obviously it depends on the examiner on the day how he runs his show to sign you off.
I would also have thought that there would be a certain degree of focus on systems handling, since it´s your initial Type Ratings (skills test), but on the other hand he´s probably well aware that you´d be doing another couple of OPC/LPCs before taking command (PIC) of the Saab. The examiner´s logic (thinking) could be that you´ll be flying with “experienced” Captains, and you will have time to spend on the line seeing the systems in actual operation and gain better (best) understanding, so your primary role would actually be in handling (hand flying) the aircraft – hence that´s what he wanted to focus on. You´d probably be surprised how crappy many professional pilots handle OEI maneuvers (eg. OEI V1 cuts and OEI go arounds!).

Well done in getting the Type Rating and best of luck hitting the sky in the Saab!

Last Edited by Yeager at 25 Feb 08:12
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Darkfixer wrote:

This weekend I signed the sales agreement for my new aircraft.
A Mooney M20K 252, hopefully pre-buy will be smooth without any major findings and I can close the deal.

That´s a big deal! Congrats! Best of luck with that! ;-)

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Well done in getting the Type Rating and best of luck hitting the sky in the Saab!

Thanks! You were spot on with your assumptions about examiner’s ideas and expectations. I talked to him after the test and he gave me very similar explanation.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Great work @emir and congratulations! Was it a lingering, maybe even half-subconcious, desire of yours to get into this kind of flying at a relatively ripe age?

I know quite a few airline pilots who fly GA on the side to liberate themselves from the procedural stuff and do some fun hand-flying. Fortunately you have the DA42 for that!

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Been watching Master of the Air recently, so short flight from Fairoaks to Duxford to see a live B-17… Just love that museum!

EGTF, United Kingdom

Spring is coming in Estonia..

Last Edited by ivark at 25 Feb 11:08
EETU, Estonia

Was it a lingering, maybe even half-subconcious, desire of yours to get into this kind of flying at a relatively ripe age?

I’ve never thought about flying as a profession. It has always been a hobby that had special place in my life. Even when I operated small flight school with few friends a decade ago, I refused to become an instructor, performing other roles and letting others be aviation professionals. So this was kind of impulsive decision with a lot of effort invested later on.

relatively ripe age

I really like the expression and from now on I’m starting frequent usage

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

“Ripe” also means something which is rotting and smelly as a result

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But “relatively ripe” can’t be rotten

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message