Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA consultation on a licensing review 2024

If I remember correctly

An IMC rating, is added to a UK none part FCL PPL the instructor can test their student.

An IR(R) is added to a part FCL PPL the instructor can’t test their student.

Thomas28 wrote:

Wouldn’t that make it harder to convert

The EASA regulation don’t make differences on where the ICAO compliant licence you want to convert has been issued. All that matter is that the UK CAA kees the PPL ICAO compliant.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Allow sub-ICAO licence holders to obtain an IMC rating. This makes perfect sense, despite the LAA IFR approval programme running incredibly slowly (or not at all – does anyone know?)

I’m not sure I understand your link with the LAA IFR programme. You can use you sub-ICAO licence to fly a certified a/c within the UK.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Part-DTO and the CAA implementation is actually really well written and a really flexible piece of regulation – a one person sole trader freelancer can register as a DTO with a simple form and a few hundred quid right now – the CAA make it very clear it can all be a one person set up, look down the lists and there are plenty listed. I feel a bit sorry for the CAA that people in industry still continue to moan on this one to be honest when they have tried to make it as easy as possible..

@xtophe – the point is that they are proposing NPPL and LAPL can add IMC/IRR which opens the way to a permit IFR aircraft, using a NPPL/LAPL + IMC/IRR and PMD potentially… pretty potent capability allowance

@bathman – the IMC training and testing is a grey area, CAP804 actually used to prohibit it and FEH advises against it, you could find yourself being looked at as an FE if you routinely did it I think…

Posts are personal views only.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

You can use you sub-ICAO licence to fly a certified a/c within the UK.

Good point.

One should also be able to have the IMCR with the PMD. Otherwise the (indisputable) safety case for the PMD makes no sense.

An IR with the PMD would be politically way too hot a potato.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“the CAA implementation is actually really well written and a really flexible piece of regulation”

So flexible that it screwed the Jersey Aero Club because the UK amended retained EU law post-Brexit to restrict DTOs to the UK. Previously, a UK DTO could be established in any territory for which the UK was responsible under the Chicago Convention.

London, United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message