Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Practicing circuits on top of a cloud

I guess it’s a fun exercise, but useful? Is this done anywhere except Britain? asking others on this forum

The first aircraft I flew with retractable gear was a glider. The same simple landing check list is used for all gliders however (according to the rules here), and memorized – for all eternity (retractable gear or not):

• Bane, Belter, Brems (Airfield, Belts, Brakes)
  • Høyde, Hjul, Hastighet (Altitude, Wheel, Airspeed)

The point is that this is a check list verifying you are configured to land. There really are no elements of practice in it. You check the airfield (or whatever place the landing has to be done), is it OK far landing, obstructions et. Check/tighten belts, test brakes for proper functionality. Check altitude. Check wheels, are they configured for landing. Check airspeed, trim etc. It’s a procedural thing, and best done when memorized. It could also be a literal check list thing, but then it’s mostly an exercise in self discipline, reading and following the check list.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I wonder if it is a better idea if you are really new to the type.

If you forget to lower the gear, it doesn’t cost you 50k (or so).

It was a process used by the RAF when I first learned many years ago.
I use it now when I initiate any one new into our Piper Arrow Turbo group – complex with retractable undercarriage & constant speed prop.
As they have to have an IMC/IR(R) rating to join, distance from clouds are not a problem.
In fact, I encourage them to demonstrate their current IMC skills if they land too low!
As well as saving ’damage costs’, it also saves a lot of landing fees!

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

If you forget to lower the gear, it doesn’t cost you 50k (or so).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I find this really odd in so many ways. First of all, why?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It is actually very easy. You pick a lone cloud, top say 3000ft, and you fly circuits at 4000ft. You do all the usual stuff, gear up, gear down, flaps, etc.

If you can’t do the usual stuff up there, you won’t find it easy doing it on the runway.

Administrator

I’ve done something similar in MEP training. Obviously not on top of a cloud, but using a defined ‘surface’, typically 4000 or 5000 ft AGL as ‘field elevation’. Gives you time and space for recovery, if things head south.

first you should maintain 1000ft distance to clouds above 3000ft AMSL and at any time in controlled airspace

My plan was to do it overhead EGKK, under an IFR clearance, so that would be legal.

Administrator

Danger I see is, first you should maintain 1000ft distance to clouds above 3000ft AMSL and at any time in controlled airspace. Second, if you inadvertently spin it you’ll be spinning into a cloud. So yeah. Hasn’t even crossed my mind to practice this.

What one can do is use the altimeter and try to descent in a landing config and then flare at a certain safe altitude and then execute a go around to practice this. But always with the ground in sight.

ELLX, Luxembourg

(Edited)
More important is to do instructor time on type and apply proper procedures. If you stall this low, means something basic has screwed up (go-around below minimum GA speed, etc.).

Last Edited by maxbc at 28 Mar 10:35
France

I’ve never done this, but can see it is a low-stress environment to practise (no circuit traffic, no wind, no ground). I’m sure I’ve heard of it at least once in WWII RAF memoirs.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message