Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How old is too old to be still flying

So, as I’m approaching 74 ( been flying for 30 yrs) this year and as far as I know in good health, planning trips with my family on board is starting to become quite a responsibility and I’m wondering if now the time to hang up my headset.
Interested in fellow pilots views.
Thank you

I’ll just repeat the old adage: you don’t stop flying when you get old – you get old when you stop flying.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

My observation is that motivated people in good health and currency fly until about 80 or a little more before they quit.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 06 Apr 20:15

I would try to finish on a high note and not wait until external factors decide for you. Better finish in style than with frustration due to an accident, medical refusal or check pilot / insurance telling you to stop.

I would make a list of the adventures or trips I always wanted to do and make a plan taking into account time, budgets etc. Do not wait, get those things going while you can.

The European situation seems to be easier but in the US at least PA46 pilots often seem to be shut down by insurance at a certain point between maybe 75 and 80. No idea if this trend eventually swaps over.

Once you are ready to quit I think you can still decide to no longer fly at all or just quit flying single pilot / PIC and still fly a little dual pilot with a younger pilot from that point on.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I’m 83. Flying gliders since I was 18, power since 23, with a 21 year gap 1965 – 1986. I haven’t flown since 2/12/2023 due to cateract operations and aircraft maintenance. I hope to fly after maintenance work (to aircraft, not me) this week, and get hours in before insurance renewal in May.
Insurance will likely be the deciding factor in when I eventually stop.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Whatever age is being spelled out is just another number. There are some 20 year old who are already not fit to fly… OTOH some people are seemingly able to maintain good health for a very long time.
Now back to us, ageing pilots. Kudos to any pilot who surrendes his licence voluntarily! Facts facing is difficult for most of us, and just witnessing one’s own decay in performance, reflexes, mental fitness, etc, is difficult to accept.

I sure could delve into the subject, but again, no real point since we all are so different.

PS
On a personal note my motto used to be cut my wings and I’ll die. Today I finally realized that I’ll vanish anyway, wings or no wings 🤣

Last Edited by Dan at 06 Apr 21:21
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

As someone in their 80th year – but having just been checked out for their IR, IR(R), CAA & FAA BFR’s, and passed easily their FAA & CAA Medical’s – I would claim 74 is far too young to retire provided one is current and proficient.
Flying 70+ hours p.a., I accept FI’s judgement that I am still competent.
I hope soon to become (one of the few?) British members of the United Flying Octogenarians.
I took great comfort last month from the Obituary of Squadron Leader Cecil Parsons who died at the early age of 105 but was still flying his Pipet Arrow (the same plane I fly) at 94!

Last Edited by Peter_G at 06 Apr 22:54
Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

I’m already at 53 a little concerned about taking family up. I would never forgive myself if anything happened. But if I auger into the side of a mountain alone, then that’s acceptable risk for me personally – I think I’ll be moving to some single seat thing eventually. Maybe put a list together as suggested as to the trips you’d like to do with family and get those done in the next years, then move to just flying solo until they take your medical away!

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 07 Apr 02:17

Rob wrote:

planning trips with my family on board is starting to become quite a responsibility

My advice is to fly with a professional copilot when taking your family. It’s not only safer, but also nicer overall. The copilot will prepare the aircraft, update your avionics, refuel, load the luggage. You arrive with the family to a warm cabin and do the flying part like a pro captain I prefer to be the pilot monitoring for an even more relaxing flight. It’s the same after landing. You can concentrate on the family instead of chocks and pitot covers. If you enjoy doing all these maintenance items, you can do them when flying solo with no time pressure. I wouldn’t recommend giving up flying completely. It may be difficult to get back. It was for me after only a 1,5 year break.

LPFR, Poland

Hmmm the majority of my pilot friends around here are in their 70’s a few in the 80’s and a couple in their 90’s.
I only know of one who thought to quit flying when he reached 80. Then he decided to design and build his own TMG, still flies his own glider, and flies the glider tug every weekend when weather allows. That’s what he calls quitting.😁
PS he will be ground testing his own TMG this month and probably flight test it in May.

France
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message