Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Close encounter with a drone

I went on the CAA website to report an airprox and was redirected to airproxboard.org.uk and filled the appropriate information. In the text I have added the following:

The main purpose of this report is to bring to the authority’s attention that a drone was flying above 2200 feet in the area of HEN and BNN. There are notified UAS areas up to an altitude of 1300 feet, not above a height of 500 feet.

If I hear anything I’ll post it here.

In the 80’s when I was a kid in Peru I saw a 40cc glow-engine model aircraft accidentally smash into a military helicopter that flew low over the field. The small RC plane simply disintegrated into confetti.

The helicopter ploughed along like nothing happened. It landed nearby and someone stepped out to check for damage. Then they took off again without even coming over to ask us any questions – no harm no foul apparently.

Not sure if this story helps calm your nerves or makes them worse!

EGLD, Netherlands

I’d rather not try to find out. The drone looked a similar size to a large bird but with almost certainly a greater density I’d think there’s scope for some serious damage and injuries if it hit the screen. It could also potentially hit the prop first and so smaller projectiles could be scattered all over the place.

There was a pilot reported as having lost an eye in a bird strike not that long ago.

I think the main problem with a drone strike is the battery. This is a dense piece that’s also relatively heavy. I something like a DJI Phantom think of a fist sized rock. I certainly would not want to hit one of those in flight.

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message