Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR - how fast is fast enough to travel

Very impressive. On paper it does ~4.5L/100 in eco cruise at 120kt @FL90, or 9L/100 at 200kt @FL90, with a roomy cockpit… The basic version seems to be €180K new, maybe a little more for the high perf.

Source – Risen website

Last Edited by maxbc at 17 May 06:31
France

However only some 30 have been sold. Compared to the VL3 that number is very low. Why is that?

EDLE

The Risen sure is performing and nice looking machine to boot… but I’m generally vary of any manufacturer stating their figures in Kmh

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

but I’m generally vary of any manufacturer stating their figures in Kmh…

They claim “450 km/h cruise GUARANTEED” though

Last Edited by europaxs at 17 May 07:18
EDLE

europaxs wrote:

Why is that?

The looks obviously. Seriously. The VL3 has that classic speedy look. It just looks “good”. The Risen looks like a morphed glider, and the cowling looks like it’s a thing they glued on as an afterthought.

How well designed is it? A 912 ULS “cruising” at 7.5 l/h. A 912 ULS is not designed to run like that. It is designed to cruise at 12-20 l/h. Perhaps OK with a constant speed prop getting the RPM up, but how is the cooling solved? It will run awfully cold without some vanes closing off. It’s seems to be a very special kind of taste in all respects.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

The looks obviously.

I think you have a point here. The Beech Starship comes to mind, which was meant to substitute the King Air AFAIK with better performance etc. but at a price of an unusual look.

Also I could imagine that you have to make without many grasstrips which the VL3 can handle quite well. Otherwise, the speed performance (and hence possible economy) of the Risen is just—-WOW!

Last Edited by europaxs at 17 May 08:19
EDLE

LeSving wrote:

but how is the cooling solved? It will run awfully cold without some vanes closing off.

I don’t think you can shock cool a water cooled engine, just because it will never get that hot in the first place.

If you car sites idle for 20mins, the engine will be hot and you can race away. I’m pretty sure there’s nothing to solve when water cooling.

LeSving wrote:

The looks obviously.

I think it looks fine. No uglier than a Panthera. The wing looks great, the canopy is a little weird but it may become more and more standard in the future. I don’t find the body any uglier than a Lançair.

Last Edited by maxbc at 17 May 08:51
France

maxbc wrote:

I don’t think you can shock cool a water cooled engine, just because it will never get that hot in the first place.

That was not the point. We are talking cruise here. How do you keep the engine warm over longer periods of time, if it produces only 10-20 HP and flies at 200 km/h at FL100. You have to close the entire cooling system. The engine is not designed for this. It’s designed to run at 5000 rpm producing 75 HP. If the RPM is kept up, at least the oil is running with a good pressure, but it has to be normal oil temperature. Still, what about piston rings and stuff over prolonged times on low power? Perhaps it will be just fine, I don’t know, but this is not a car engine, and it’s not designed to run like that.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The point is that there is absolutely no problem with an engine running “cool”, except for shock cooling or shock warming. I’m pretty sure there is no way a low revving engine drops oil temperature below what you get after a few minutes of idle warmup on the ground. Inside cylinders there’s always some 800C burning happening.

Last Edited by maxbc at 17 May 10:02
France

LeSving wrote:

The Risen looks like a morphed glider

Well, the glide ratio is given as a very high 20, but looking at the wing or the fuse, that would be a revolutionary concept for a glider…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message