Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LFPT from/to the UK planning scenario

I am planning flight to LFPT from EGTF on friday come back sunday.

In my previous flights to Paris (either LFPN or LFPT) I had done customs stop via LFOH, LFOP mostly based on weather considerations or LFAT when no time to do PR on weekend.

LFOP is clearly the fastest/most on the way and short VFR hop to LFPT after custom.

My question is I am debating how to plan the return on sunday if chances of IMC and require IFR, given I need to give notice on friday.

1. Book custom in LFOH for sunday afternoon, file the IFR route works as well if IMC, and go VFR if VMC and slots. But a bit longer.
2. Book custom in LFOP, but can’t find an IFR route as too short? So require VMC, plan B is via LFAT if require IFR
3. Book custom in both LFOP (for vfr) and LFOH (for IFR) and cancel the one i don’t need on sunday? (does not sound nice)

Probably a bit hair splitting as route via LFOH not much longer and safer no matter what the weather and hopefully by friday the forecast for sunday will be more certain so I can decide 1 or 2

But still curious if any thoughts? and if there is a way to go IFR from LFPT to LFOP in the case weather too poor or LFAT/longer route only viable plan B for IFR if no custom booked in LFOH?

EGTF, United Kingdom

Some ideas here on how to do these rather difficult things. The 24hr PN requirement pretty well buggers up the idea – unavoidable in GA – of doing an flight planned at a short notice because it happens to be the only suitable opportunity given the weather situation.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

IFR training planes do LFPT-LFOP all the time. Don’t worry. But maybe they file with Sofia (french AIS tool) and it gets processed manually.
They do it at FL70 to stay in class E or 5000ft OCAS at the pilot’s request.

LFOU, France

This route has controlled airspace all around. No way to be OCAS at 5000 feet.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

File an I flight plan LFOP to LFPT and LFPT to LFOP. I can’t remember whether there is a POGO route or not. If not you will have to see if one validates.
If it is VMC on the day and you want to go VFR just cancel IFR you still will have a VFR flight plan. As long as there is ATS at LFOP and LFPT they should close your flight plan.
If not you will have to close it on the phone.
You will need to do that under a VFR flight plan as well as a IFR one.
PN LFOP as necessary ie from Tues to Saturday before 14h00 UTC the day before and for Sunday to Monday before 14h00 on the Friday.
As they only give a fixed line telephone number you might ask in your PN if there is a special number to contact if you need to cancel or delay at the last minute. You might even send a copy of your FPL in and out.
For UK to LFOP and LFOP to UK. Personally I would file an I FPL if I could get one to validate.
If UK rules don’t allow that I would pick a point in France to go IFR and file that for alternatively just ask LFOP when arriving to use the procedure because of weather.
Do the same in reverse ie an I FPL and if necessary cancel IFR just before crossing the frontier.
I hope I haven’t missed anything.

France

roznet wrote:

My question is I am debating how to plan the return on sunday if chances of IMC and require IFR, given I need to give notice on friday.

1. Book custom in LFOH for sunday afternoon, file the IFR route works as well if IMC, and go VFR if VMC and slots. But a bit longer.
2. Book custom in LFOP, but can’t find an IFR route as too short? So require VMC, plan B is via LFAT if require IFR
3. Book custom in both LFOP (for vfr) and LFOH (for IFR) and cancel the one i don’t need on sunday? (does not sound nice)

If there isn’t much difference in length and no other pressing reason then I’d do 1. It’s easier and less hassle all around.

However if it does seriously inconvenience you, then I’d do 3. It’s customs that are requiring the long notice. It’s for their convenience that they require the long notice. If doing both causes them a difficulty, well, they created that situation. You’re just following the rules.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Maybe POGO routes is relevant?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LFOP-LFPT: KOLIV J116 MOPAR
LFPT-LFOP: EVX N160 EVRUK H20 ELBOX (unlikely you actually fly it)

Both work at FL070

LFPN, LFLI, LFPZ

This is a real track flown on 2 weeks ago

I found an IFR flight LFPT-LFOP on video :

LFOU, France

Salim wrote:

LFPT-LFOP: EVX N160 EVRUK H20 ELBOX (unlikely you actually fly it)

That’s correct. One tricky thing could be to get your IFR clearance if LFPT is closed, calling CDG is always a bit awkward

EGTF, LFTF
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message