Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why you should tie down / tiedown methods

Hi Patrick,

I purchased a screw-in-the-ground portable tie down kit. Transair in the UK has numerous types. One type is here:

Very handy to take with you.

-Jason

Great Oakley, U.K. & KTKI, USA

Maybe this video will provide some ideas:

A guy I know (on the northeast side of the field, Patrick ) was flying across the US in his J3 Cub and found it had blown away one morning…. He found if after a while and by some miracle it had kind of progressively hopped its way into a field adjacent to the airport, and didn’t require much repair. He flew it home. The whole wind damage thing is a bit worrying to me – its a real world problem but regardless I don’t actually like leaving my aircraft outside overnight.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 17 Jul 15:52

I’m using screw in pegs similar to those

You might be able to get them at your local pet supply store.

LSZK, Switzerland

The trouble is that those screw in pegs in the posts above don’t really provide that much resistance (and can be very hard to put in in the first place).

I don’t think thy do much more than provide token resistance and at least you did what you could do.

I’ve seen our aircraft pull one out of the ground in a storm, but it only moved a few cm on the ground.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Rhino,

indeed, securing the aircraft is a bit of a problem when on a trip.

The best are airports that have tie-down rings available on asphalt. These are few and far apart, though.
At many major airports, there are none though and often, there is no suitable grass parking available. A concrete block is useless of a real storm comes around.
These same is true for tying down in the grass, really. However, it’s good for the peace of mind, which is really what tying down is nost useful for.

Bring along a tie-down set. Depending on how “solid” these are, they are heavy though…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It’s odd – in the US, go to any airport, and you’ll find the GA apron at the vast majority have tiedown rings. (Some have chains. Do not use chains, they’ll wreck your aircraft if it gets windy. If you carry your own ropes use those instead).

But over here, I don’t think I’ve encountered a GA apron yet with somewhere to tie down. The best you get is parking on the grass and bring your own tie down stakes.

Andreas IOM

I have found tiedown rings embedded in the concrete at quite a lot of the bigger south European airports, and the people working there often tie you down (I mean the plane, not you personally ) as a matter of routine.

In the UK it’s very rare.

I don’t think that anything that you can screw into the ground is going to do very much with a 1000kg+ plane with full tanks (you did fill up straight after landing, didn’t you? – that’s the top tip for GA travel) but it might help with something much lighter, especially if high wing:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This is a question that came up on another tread.

Background You fly to one of the Greek Islands that has Handling agents which results in a Handling charge. There is next to nothing as far as services at the airport. When you made planes to go thinking that since their is a Handler you would be taken care of. However when you arrive you find out that there are no tie down points available not even chocks.

If your lucky you travel with some chocks. But they are light weight and of limited value. If your really anal you bring an auger tie down. But you find that its impossible to get it into the ground due to the grounds make up. The handler says hes sorry but he cant help. So your there for a few days vacation and you leave your plane unsecured.

Technically you were negligent in not securing the plane at all. Would the insurance company still cover you for your loss, if a thunderstorm comes up with high winds and blows the plane over or if a jet maneuvers and blows your plane over?

KHTO, LHTL

You are only negligent if you fail to take advantage of whatever securing infrastructure there is. I have yet to see tie-downs in Europe. If there’s no infrastructure, what can the insurer sensibly say? It’s not like you can drill a hole in the apron, put an eyelet in and secure it with cement.

Supplimentary question: why does no UK airfield have tie down points (at least none that I’ve been to)? Every airfield in the USA will have them on hard-surfaced aprons, they nearly all have ropes installed – they at least have the tie down point sunk into the ground so if you have your own ropes you can tie down securely. But even really nice airports like Gloucester don’t have any tie down points on their transient apron. The best I can do is chock the aircraft and hope we get no airmass thunderstorms.

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message