Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How far can you get in Europe without Mode S, and can ATC see the Mode S data?

I crossed Germany VFR from EDXW to EDCG 2 months ago with a mode C at 5500ft and nobody complained. Maybe the traffic there was low enough that ATC didn’t mind.

Depending on the accuracy of your QNH setting you might not have been in 5500ft at all
:-)

EDM_, Germany

I’ve heard reports as well that in practice, Mode C is still OK even above 5000 ft in Germany.

ch.ess wrote:

Depending on the accuracy of your QNH setting you might not have been in 5500ft at all

I used the QNH ATC gave to me along the route. I was definitely less than 500ft off if that’s what you mean, that’s a lot of hPa. If anything I was higher due to temperature.
ESMK, Sweden

boscomantico wrote:

BTW, you ought not to be flying 5500 feet in Germany. “Transition altitude” for VFR is 5000 feet, so it would be FL55 that you should fly.
You are absolutely right and I should have thought about that.
ESMK, Sweden

boscomantico wrote:

BTW, you ought not to be flying 5500 feet in Germany. “Transition altitude” for VFR is 5000 feet, so it would be FL55 that you should fly.

Except in the southern parts close to the alps, surely?

Mode S in Permit aircraft in the UK?

What about Mode S in Permit to Fly aircraft in the UK? VFR, (and Night, and IMC, if permitted.)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

In the absence of other input (?) let me have a go…

Mode S is an airspace requirement and would apply across all aircraft types flying in that airspace.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Agree. But are these checks being required for Permit Renewal by the LAA?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Not yet. Mode s isn’t mandatory.

They have a great process for getting full ADSB out approved. You have to print out a screen from pilotaware to prove it works!!

EGKL, United Kingdom

Mode S isn’t mandatory, so no, you don’t need Mode S for permit renewal. In fact you don’t need any avionics for LAA permit renewal (to do the avionics flight test you must have the LAA permit before you do the avionics flight test).

You can fit mode S if you want to permit aircraft, I plan to in probably 2-3 years time, I currently have only mode C.

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message