Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying the Piper Archer through South-Sudan

Currently waiting for the overland clearance into Khartoum I have some time to let you know of our flying adventure through Africa. We started in Teuge, the Netherlands and made our way down to South-Africa and are now on our way up to take the last big hurdle: the overland/landing clearances from Sudan/Khartoum. Seemingly the minister of defense has to sign it before of the fighting going on in the North of South-Sudan. Temperatures here are over 40 degrees.

Read my latest blogpost on our trip here: http://acrossafricachallenge.com/flying-through-a-war-zone/

EDLE, Netherlands

Hats off to you, Gentlemen. That must be the adventure of a lifetime …

Out of curiosity, wouldn’t it have been easier to route via Kenia, Ethiopia and then along the Red Sea?

Last Edited by blueline at 26 Feb 11:10
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Bluwline: that is what we finally did. We flew from Juba in South Sudan to Ethiopia, then to Aden, Yemen and onwards to Jeddah in Saudi-Arabia, then Aswan and Cairo in Egypt to fly to Sde Dov in Israel. Latest blogposts: http://acrossafricachallenge.com

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 10 Mar 06:57
EDLE, Netherlands

For Dutch pilots: we are organizing an aviation event next week Saturday the 22nd of March. Have a look here at the event: http://www.aeroplus.nl/events/weather-to-fly

EDLE, Netherlands

Sjoerd,

if you propose an event that most probably involves an overnight, maybe you should mention that most of the country will be shut down for GA the day after….

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Boscomantico: that is why I addressed the Dutch pilots who don’t have to fly into Teuge airport for this event. I am more than willing to give a presentation of our trip through Africa and the Middle East another time in English :-)

EDLE, Netherlands

Roger that.

Will you publish a more “joint-up” form of the story than just the internet blog?

Boscomantico: well, I am going to write a book on the trip. Would an article with some pictures give you better information on the trip than the information that is now on the Blog www.acrossafricachallenge.com?? If so, I should ask PeterH to post a link to an article on the trip.

EDLE, Netherlands

Yes, I guess if you took the content from the blog, put it all in one single document, add photos and a few map excerpts with the flown routings, that would make for some awesome reading…

If Sjoerd is happy to produce a writeup which is a simple linear article, with inline pics, and good detailed information which might help someone else do a similar trip one day, we would very much like to have that on EuroGA under Articles.

We would not have a link under Articles pointing to an external site. There are huge numbers of external sites, aviation blogs, you name it, and they could all ask for a link. And a lot of them carry advertisements, either for their own products or carry an advert feed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message