Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying into French Language Only (FR-only) airfields (and French ATC ELP)

between FR only or EN only.

Not sure I understand… the choice would be FR or FR+EN. In Germany it would be GE or GE+EN. Etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

bookworm wrote:

I don’t think there is a rule that requires the DGAC to recognise a UK ELP qualification at all, so be careful what you wish for.

I’m afraid I don’t follow that point. Are you saying that France/DGAC isn’t compelled to recognize an international EASA/ICAO licence with only an ELP? I understood your point in citing the EASA paragraph earlier was just the opposite … ELP is always sufficient. Or did I misunderstand?

LSZK, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

Secondly, all arriving pilots contribute to the airport, via landing fees, and (this is directly relevant to the fairly common chamber of commerce airport funding in France) by spending money in the local economy. I would suggest that a foreigner flying into [pick your favourite AFIS-run French airport] is way more likely to spend a few hundred € in the area than a French aeroclub pilot.

I think in particular in France this is a really poor argument in most FR only fields. There simply are no fees and who needs AFIS, flugleiters or the local muppet who thinks he needs to man the non existing tower.

Last Edited by LFHNflightstudent at 14 May 21:23
LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

BTW (and sorry when diverting the thread); while there are some websites showing the terminology for french RT, I haven’t found a source where you can listen to these RT-phrases. Since we don’t send text messages to announce our intentions, to me, when starting to learn these french phrases, it’s more relevant to get audio-examples. Has anyone found them online?

Thanks,

Marcel

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

The bigger airports are on the internet, but maybe only limited help if it’s mostly silent or commercial IFR. You can also get the ATIS by phone from loads of places.
LiveATC Europe : Angoulême, Annecy, Biarritz, Bordeau, Cannes, Limoges, Lyon Bron, Lyon St Ex, Nice, Orly, Strasbourg, + Basel

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Not audio examples but worth a mention we have some French phrases here.

Administrator

Thanks. I meant audio samples of the phrases to learn how to pronounce them. I.e. “455 pieds: quatre cent cinquante-cinq” from Peter’s link; how to speak that? ;-)

I think you can find what you are looking for on https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/reglementation
MANUEL DE FORMATION A LA PHRASEOLOGIE

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Thank you for the link. What I am looking for are audio samples (or a youtube video or whatever), where someone is speaking out the phrases in French language so that someone like me, with zero knowledge about French language, can start learning how to pronounce the French-phrases with the result that this can be correctly understood by third parties….
Surely, another approach is the classic way of attending a language school, where I first would learn to introduce myself and maybe how to order food & drinks (although important). But I want to get a first start by learning what the French pilots are reporting and at a later stage also to understand their intentions.
So I guess what I am looking for is a sort of online course “Aviation French for Beginners”…

Reading “455 pieds: quatre cent cinquante-cinq” is one thing, but to speak that out so others understand me (and me understanding others when they say this) is something else, isn’t it?

Previous thread on a similar topic

There are lots of youtube flying videos which carry pilot and ATC voice.

These are technically illegal for Germany (and, I have been advised by pilots in that area, probably Austria also) and probably most other countries, but it doesn’t seem to be enforced. Perhaps there is a way to search youtube for French flying videos? Or is recording and playback of ATC illegal in France too?

Unfortunately, making a half decent flying video takes more effort than most are willing to put into it.

Where I come from (Czechoslovakia) a popular way to learn foreign languages was to listen to their radio stations. This practice was banned of course so you had to be discreet about it But this won’t get you ATC talk.

Another way is to fly along the south coast of the UK and tune in some French airports e.g. Deauville. At say 5000ft, you can usually pick them up. It is easy to record the sound track. I use a Tascam DR-05 and this circuit. Just don’t bust CAS while doing it… in the UK they don’t take prisoners nowadays

Administrator
Sign in to add your message