Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying into French Language Only (FR-only) airfields (and French ATC ELP)

or out of political interest of some people who dream of forcing the whole of France to speak English on every single aerodrome

Who would these be?

Apart from non French airlines flying into France?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Who would these be?

It’s a position that has a few very vocal supporters on a Swiss aviation forum.

Just learn French! It’s a beautiful language… Seriously, anyone going regularly to France should at least make an effort to learn some French. Even without learing the whole language, the words used in aviation French are really quite easy to pick up…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

For those of you who wished to go to the lovely little French airfield of Habsheim LFGB, conveniently located near Basel, but were reluctant because it was french-only: they now accept English as well according to a NOTAM, see the French AIP. Strictly VFR airfield, but it’s right underneath the ILS 15 for Basel Airport and on a Y plan Basel is quite helpful to have to fly that approach and break off.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Yes, like in Hagenau you can do A/A in English for about two months now. You don’t need to cancel IFR btw, you can do a visual approach into LFGB. But you must have the runway in sight when you request it, and I haven’t tested it in marginal weather.

aart wrote:

they now accept English as well according to a NOTAM

Rwy20 wrote:

Yes, like in Hagenau you can do A/A in English for about two months now.

Isn’t that a nice development?

LFGB-MULHOUSE HABSHEIM
LFFA-D1948/16
Q)LFEE/QFAXX/IV/NBO/ A/000/999/4744N00726E005
A) LFGB MULHOUSE HABSHEIM
B) 201605120943 C) PERM
E) AUTO INFORMATION (A/A) 125.250MHZ POSSIBLE
EN FRANCAIS ET EN ANGLAIS

Soon you’ll see they’ll have customs/immigration as well!

LFPT, LFPN

I’m afraid that is not related, though it would be superb to have customs. Rumor has it that this is because there used to be some Swiss planes that thought it would be smart to do circuits NORDO to avoid the alleged French LP requirements… Which is of course illegal. But I think it’s a good thing to allow English, even if it is for pathetic reasons.

Rwy20 wrote:

’m afraid that is not related

Oh darn. I forgot the

LFPT, LFPN

I might have already said it, but any French microlight instructor can give you your French brevet ULM with RT privileges in French
http://www.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/Radiotelephonie_ULM_v0.pdf
And the French reg (see below) says that with a ML licence with RT privileges you may speak French on the radio on any aircraft (tout aeronef). So no need of FLP on your EASA licence to speak French on the radio

Arrêté du 31 juillet 1981 relatif aux brevets, licences et qualifications des navigants non professionnels de l’aéronautique civile (personnel de conduite des aéronefs)
2.7.1. Utilisation de la radiotéléphonie en langue française
Tout détenteur d’un brevet et d’une licence de pilote d’aéronef ultraléger motorisé (ULM) est habilité à assurer, à bord de tout aéronef, les communications radiotéléphoniques en langue française s’il a satisfait à l’épreuve correspondante définie par arrêté.

Last Edited by Piotr_Szut at 30 Jun 20:05
Paris, France

Peter wrote:

I find this utterly and totally incredible!

It means that an Air France pilot flying into Charles de Gaulle, from New York, is required to speak French!

I don’t think so, where is that coming from ?

As for the rest, the discussion is always the same.
I find the requirement for LPR EN for IR totally irrelevant. That’s just an impediment to IFR with no justification.

Also, I could go to UK and utter 3 words of English and land, it does not mean I’m legal to do it.

Peter wrote:

The degree of transparency in governmental procedures reduces as one goes further south

Point of View really
I tend to not like common law systems as I find them very non-deterministic (or nontransparent if you will) legally speaking…

Last Edited by PapaPapa at 01 Jul 12:41
ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg
Sign in to add your message