Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying into French Language Only (FR-only) airfields (and French ATC ELP)

Seems pretty clear to me that if the VAC says “fr seulement/only” then thats exactly what it means

That was my impression but AFIS(FR) seems different from AFIS(FR seulement)
I gather it’s ok to fly to Ouessant IFR and talk English but not Amiens

I think some need to remember what AFIS actually is and that it is not supposed to issue instructions to aircraftbin the air

They can’t given instructions on the ground in France neither (unlike in UK where AFIS is actually ground ATC), however, IFR is more messy: while they don’t control departure & arrival they tend to have other mandates for IFR, it will get very odd for IFR using English without English AFIS?
- They set runway in-use and “allow straight-in IFR” (unless the PIC has solid case to go for different join or runway)
- They can ban IFR descent bellow 1000ft agl for commercial operators (if weather is sh!t unless the PIC has a solid case)
- They can enforce procedural IFR arrival in Golf (they can ask you to orbit before joining IAF)
- They can ban IFR startup and enforce IFR slots (if airport requires one)
- They rely IFR departure clearance from departure ATC

Of course, they can’t issue instructions but the above is a very long list

Last Edited by Ibra at 25 Apr 11:06
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

In he case of LFEC the AFISO does not speak English. And the IFR text actually says
that radio communications with AFIS. fr. The VAC says AFIS Fr only and A/A .fr.
This is the case with a great many AFIS airfields in France as it is usually the airport and in most cases the local council employs an AFISO and not Nationally.

France

Just to make sure we are talking about the same concepts, here is Ouessant VAC & Amiens VAC

Are you saying AFIS(FR) was a typo and should be AFIS(FR seulement/only)?

Last Edited by Ibra at 25 Apr 11:40

I am talking this one 509571_pdf
Note the ( FR) after AFIS. This also appears under radio communications on the IFR plates.
If you look at LFRI you can arrange in advance for an English speaking AFISO. LFBN roughly the same but the AFISO who speaks English is nearly always on the radio each time I transit the field.

France

It’s the same plate that I have attached for Oussant, 17 June 21, it does not say AFIS (FR Seulement/Only) in Ouessant but it does say it for Amiens…

Last Edited by Ibra at 25 Apr 15:38

But how do you talk to the AFISO if you don’t speak French and he doesn’t speak anything but French. If you treat it as if he isn’t there then the VAC says A/A French only or at least the one I posted does.
Also the IACs say radio communications FR. LFBN IACs say "language FR ".

France

But how do you talk to the AFISO if you don’t speak French and he doesn’t speak anything but French. If you treat it as if he isn’t there then the VAC says A/A French only or at least the one I posted does.

Then every AD (Toussus, Cherbourg, Havre…) will suddenly becomes “A/A FR seulement” if the ATC/AFIS on duty does not reply back in English?

You are referring to the practicalities not the legalities? as far as the law is concerned you can talk English in Ouessant in AFIS hours…how it works, especially for IFR I have no idea, that is why I asked the question?

What I know is when ATC/AFIS is not in tower IFR startup clerance on phone is explicitly given in French if your departure AD is “A/A FR only”

I guess going in/out VFR is still ok-ish as possibility?

Last Edited by Ibra at 25 Apr 16:25

But Ouessant actually says A/A French only on the VAC I posted. The strange thing is, the one you.posted didn’t. That’s a mystery as both appear to be from the AIP and carry the same date.
But in IFR the IAC say radio in FR so how can it be legal to radio in English. That is on top of the practicalities.
All ATC speak English but that is not necessary for AFISOs. FISOs yes speak English and are employees of the State.

France

Maybe VAC is not up to date? or EN is ok for VFR but not for IFR?

Both seems plausible…

Last Edited by Ibra at 25 Apr 17:42

No, just realised your red line covers the French only A/A 😁

France
Sign in to add your message