Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying into French Language Only (FR-only) airfields (and French ATC ELP)

Very nice video… one small remark although…at the end it should be "au parking on quitte " and not “au sol” particularly considering that you already should be on the ground for the taxi you did before

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

FWIW, I find any call “on parking, leaving the frequency” totally useless for anybody in an air/air environment. I never do it.

And even at towered airports, in 99% of cases, TWR/GND doesn’t seem to need / wish such call. So I never do it in towered environments either.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Aug 12:30
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I do it only in France, because French instructors strongly taught me to do it…

ELLX

boscomantico wrote:

FWIW, I find any call “on parking, leaving the frequency” totally useless for anybody in an air/air environment. I never do it.

And even at towered airports, in 99% of cases, TWR/GND doesn’t seem to need / wish such call. So I never do it in towered environments either.

In France, you have to do it, at least in controlled airports. Sometimes they tell you “quittez sans rappeller” after you land, and in such case, you are allowed to shut down without doing the last call. Otherwise, they need to know that you arrived at the parking and you are not reachable by radio anymore, so you are expected to tell them when you are leaving the frequency.
When doing air-to-air calls it is up to you but it is customary to do it in France so I would suggest aligning with the custom as people will expect to hear that.

LFST, France

For what purpose (in the air/air scenario)?

And in an ATC environment: I have never done that in 20 years flying in France. And never has anybody approached me that I should have done so. (Of course, they can’t do so via the radio, as I will have that switched off, but someone could walk out to me or forward a bollocking to me via the landing fee desk, if ot were somehow important.

So it is either that ATCOs don’t really want/need it either, or that they all have grown so used to none of the international pilots doing it that they will not pursue action. And again, the question is, what would they need it for?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

So it is either that ATCOs don’t really want/need it either, or that they all have grown so used to none of the international pilots doing it that they will not pursue action. And again, the question is, what would they need it for?

That would be true for Germany and other countries, not necessarily for France. Things are usually not so black and white here, and no one would try to track down who you are and prosecute you just because you did not advise before leaving frequency. That does not change the fact that they are expecting you to do it.
Mind that I am telling you what they are expecting, not what you should do, it is up to you to decide whether or not you want to do it and personally I care very little :)
As for why they need it, I am not the right person to ask, I guess you will have to ask a french ATC. I can only guess it is somehow useful for them to know whether or not you are still listening.

LFST, France

boscomantico wrote:

For what purpose (in the air/air scenario)?

Forgot to answer this. As mentioned before it is just the local custom. Again, up to you if you want to align or not.
I usually prefer to adapt to the way the locals do things rather than using my own way regardless. I think it makes things easier and safer for everyone (Yes I know, skipping the last call probably has little impact on safety).

LFST, France

Amusing to imagine a controller leaving the tower to have a little chat with a pilot on the ramp, motivated by his view of how a pilot should communicate with him. My expectation of controllers is that they do their job, earn their pay and serve my needs, not vice versa.

Maybe something related to FCL.050(g): Flight time is recorded: (1) for aeroplanes, touring motor gliders and powered-lift aircraft, from the moment an aircraft first moves to taking off until the moment it finally comes to rest at the end of the flight, no one should bother when you leave the frequency after the aircraft has stopped but good airmanship to make the call

The same debate about requesting “startup clearances” for GA, they may only make sense if you expect to get VFR/IFR clearances before your engine starts, if not you can just start your engine and worst case ATC will ask you to wait or they/you decide to shutdown

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@ Seba once again I agree with you. For me, it’s a local custom and IMO it’s just polite to follow local customs, especially as it.costs nothing
It’s like in France you are expected to say bonjour when you say go to the till at a supermarket. You don’t have to it but it’s the polite thing to do.
Also don’t forget in A/A you might be parking whilst another aircraft is just starting up and ready to move. To say "Au parking je quitte le fréquence let’s that pilot know you are not going to move.

France
Sign in to add your message