Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying into French Language Only (FR-only) airfields (and French ATC ELP)

Hello Sebastian,
I did it 2015 in Strasbourg and got Level 5. It was entered into my license by the RP, and even LBA did the LP entry when I got the IR in 2018 (of course, each language costs 35€ or something like that…).
It will expire beginning of 2021, and I am in contact with Mme Amarenthe to take the exam again in Strasbourg this year in November. So I doubt there is an online process for this.
I can give you all details including a German writeup of the test and a vocabulary list I compiled if you are interested.
But, to avoid this discussion coming up again: you do not need it legally, it is rather a „Jodeldiplom“ (Germans above a certain age will know what that is ) for me.
You just need to be quite fluent in French and know some terms to do the radio in FR.
Best,
Tina

EDFM, Germany

The DGAC will organise a French Language Proficiency test on request.

If anybody wants to do one, send me a PM and I’ll put you in contact with the appropriate people.

LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

They also used to issue a letter of authorisation for French R/T if one swore one is a native speaker, and the Luxembourg DAC (CAA) used that letter as justification to enter the French language 6 into the licence. I have no news on whether the French DGAC still does that.

ELLX

Do you guys know how it works the other way round? Can I fly into a German-only field without a German proficiency certificate? (I do speak good enough German to say Gegenanflug & co. without being misunderstood). Alternatively, how/where can I take the language test?

LFST, France

Seba wrote:

Can I fly into a German-only field without a German proficiency certificate?

When it comes to Language Proficiency (as per EASA FCL.055) – yes you only need English LP to fly into a German only airfield.

But as @boscomantico correctly pointed out in this thread, strictly speaking you also need a German language radio telephony license to do the radio in German in Germany. My French PPL used to not indicate the languages of the R/T privileges (only the EASA LP languages), but a few years ago they started adding them. The licence now extends the R/T privileges to French and English only.

So if you want to be 1000 % legal, you’d apparently have to sign up for an exam for a BZF II with the Bundesnetzagentur, travel to one of their 6 locations in Germany and sit the exam…

Rwy20 wrote:

When it comes to Language Proficiency (as per EASA FCL.055) – yes you only need English LP to fly into a German only airfield.

But as @boscomantico correctly pointed out in this thread, strictly speaking you also need a German language radio telephony license to do the radio in German in Germany. My French PPL used to not indicate the languages of the R/T privileges (only the EASA LP languages), but a few years ago they started adding them. The licence now extends the R/T privileges to French and English only.

So if you want to be 1000 % legal, you’d apparently have to sign up for an exam for a BZF II with the Bundesnetzagentur, travel to one of their 6 locations in Germany and sit the exam…

Thanks that’s useful info.
Now that opened up more questions in my mind (mostly just for the fun of forum conversation): could a passenger without a pilot licence but with the BZF II licence legally do the radio in a Ge only airfield, provided he/she knows what to say?
I would imagine not, but as this licence seems to be completely independent from the fact of being a pilot I was wondering if that could be a possibility.

LFST, France

Seba wrote:

Thanks that’s useful info.
Now that opened up more questions in my mind (mostly just for the fun of forum conversation): could a passenger without a pilot licence but with the BZF II licence legally do the radio in a Ge only airfield, provided he/she knows what to say?
I would imagine not, but as this licence seems to be completely independent from the fact of being a pilot I was wondering if that could be a possibility.

Sorry I searched the Bundesnetzagentur website after writing this. I think I can answer myself: no :)

LFST, France

but as this licence seems to be completely independent from the fact of being a pilot I was wondering if that could be a possibility.

Yes, he can. Many pilots have wives having only BZF and doing the radio whilst they fly.

Of course, the pilot is still the PIC and thus responsible for all that happens on board.

Hence, some CRM is required to do it properly.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 26 Jul 17:55
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Yes, he can. Many pilots have wives having only BZF and doing the radio whilst they fly.

Of course, the pilot is still the PIC and thus responsible for all that happens on board.

Hence, some CRM is required to do it properly.

Ok, skimming quickly through the website it seemed like it wouldn’t be possible but true, they don’t say you need a pilot licence.

What about this chapter by the way:
Die im Ausland erteilten und gültigen Flugfunkzeugnisse, die unter Prüfungsbedingungen erworben wurden und einem entsprechenden Flugfunkzeugnis der Bundesrepublik Deutschland mindestens gleichwertig sind, können nach § 14 der Verordnung über Flugfunkzeugnisse allgemein oder im Einzelfall anerkannt werden.

Can I get my French R/T licence recognised this way? They are not talking about English language here because that is mentioned in the following paragraph and automatically recognised.

LFST, France

Here is a little video Mrs. terbang put together about flying into French only airfields:

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany
Sign in to add your message