Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do you get lost at airports?

Peter wrote:

but there are various issues because a phone (or a tablet) doesn’t really work properly for that usage and needs a lot of “button stuff” each time you start.

Not at all. The taxi diagram comes up as chart overlay automatically the moment you land. On startup, it’s two taps on the chart (I think this could also be automated, would need to check).

A Singapore Airlines pilot friend told me that it has happened to him before that he had to go around a terminal building twice as the markings to the parking gate were unclear and they missed the turnoff to the gate…

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

I find Safetaxi on my Garmin Aera 660 really great. It powers up straight into the airport chart, or more less. Another Safetaxi related thread is here.

Foreflight have an identical feature in their IOS app; I considered buying a cheap Iphone and yoke mounting that instead of the Aera, but there are various issues because a phone (or a tablet) doesn’t really work properly for that usage and needs a lot of “button stuff” each time you start. You also can’t connect an external antenna cable to a phone or a tablet.

When a pilot asked for progressive taxi, I gave him vectors based on ground radar.

Isn’t that a special type of radar, with high resolution?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

With the ForeFlight diagrams this has become a non-issue, at least in the US. You see exactly where you are and where you are going. Massive improvement over the paper charts, trying to figure out where you are with signange designed to be seen from a 747 cockpit…

Ah happy days ! Reminds me of my TWR career. When a pilot asked for progressive taxi, I gave him vectors based on ground radar.

EBST, Belgium

I only had issue once in Sylt EDXW. The grass was cut so high the taxiway signs (D, P and M are all very close near the 06 threshold) not visible from the cockpit of a PA28 until we were right next to it. I’m sure it was fine from planes with longer legs.

Also, grass taxiways at some smaller fields are utterly unclear or poorly marked. Several times I have only taxied were the grass looks the shortest because it might have been cut. Every time I worry about my prop.

Last Edited by Arne at 12 Dec 16:56
ESMK, Sweden

I thought “request progressive taxi” was a European term also, but on the occassions I used it I never got anything like it

almost everybody whi operates into major airports nowadays has some sort of moving map airport diagram depiction on board

I am sure most don’t have it. I got it only this year (Garmin Safetaxi on the Aera 660). But yes it is a huge help. But even having a co-pilot / clued-up passenger who can read a paper airport chart is a huge help. I had such a passenger flying into Athens LGAV but when departing without him I got seriously lost.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you for clarifying!

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

No, “progressive taxi” is a US term and many ground controllers in Europe will not really understand it straight away. You might want to use plain Enlgish and ask for “step-by-step taxi instructions to xy” or something like that. But some controllers might be a bit unwilling. Remember: most of them are used to professional two-pilot crews who have all the gadgets in board and never have to ask.

But let’s face it; even in light GA, almost everybody whi operates into major airports nowadays has some sort of moving map airport diagram depiction on board, so the problem of really getting lost has gone away pretty much (same as in the air).

Amd yes, at many airports, they will send out a follow-me even without the GA pilot asking.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 10 Dec 20:21
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Is ´progressive taxi´ something “common” in Europe? Perhaps I should buy (and read…) an up-to-date book on radio communication again…??

On the other hand, what about requesting a follow-me? :-)

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland
41 Posts
Sign in to add your message