Welcome to our forums

IGS approach

10 Posts

Yesterday at Mostar LQMO

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

You actually flew it in IMC?

What is an IGS procedure?

Out of interest, the Jepp version is here:

With that MSA, the words “cleared for the approach” acquire a whole new meaning if interpreted literally

Last Edited by Peter at 13 Jun 08:28
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

An IGS is essentially an ILS that doesn’t leave you positioned to land due to being offset or somesuch. It requires visual manouevering after the minima. As here it directs you on a path which intercepts the extended runway centreline.

Kai Tak was an IGS from memory.

Last Edited by JasonC at 13 Jun 08:33
EGTK Oxford

Just as an aside I am pleased to say I have Kai Tak in my logbook. It was in a Cessna 182, and I also landed at Sek Kong.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

IGS: Instrument Guidance System

An ILS that doesn’t meet all ICAO requirements, such as positioning you for a straight landing. Locarno LSZA has an IGS and it’s called like that not because you can’t land straight, but because the glide slope is angled at 6.65°, which is more than the ICAO maximum of 3.5°.

But the nomenclature isn’t very consistent. Innsbruck calls their approaches LOC DME EAST and WEST, even though they have a glide slope too.

Altenrhein LSZR however calls its system an ILS even though the glide slope angle is 4° and thus above 3.5°, the runway doesn’t have an approach light system, the TCH is less than 50ft and the ILS doesn’t have a backup power supply. They call it a Cat I ILS, although it only gives you nonprecision minima (500ft DH), same as their LOC only and LPV approaches.

LSZK, Switzerland

The same story as for Locarno should then also apply for London City?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

You actually flew it in IMC? What is an IGS procedure?

Actually, just a begining of descent was IMC, below 6000 ft was SCT and FEW with no coluds at all lower than 4500. IGS is Instrument Guided System – basicaly ILS without streight approach.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Here’s the Kai Tak IGS approach:

My logbook tells me I flew it 180 times!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

My logbook tells me I flew it 180 times!

Cool! In the late 80s I lived – for a short while – in Midlevels, directly opposite the big chevrons painted on the side of the mountain, that pointed towards the runway. Made for an amazing sight seeing a 747 head straight for the cumulugranitus and then hang a quick right. Always tried to get a window on the right side of the plane when flying in – some spectacular views!

Btw is Kai Tak still operational? I know it’s not the main airport anymore, haven’t been back in ages.

No Kai Tak closed when Chek Lap Kok opened. I think it’s built over now.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message