Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Advanced PPL

I recognize the above. It depends on what your ambitions are with the PPL. If you plan some local flight every other weekend the current training will provide. Crossing around Europe is another thing and I think an advanced training would be very helpful. On the other hand you also have to challenge yourself, make a plan and just do it!

Earlier this year I finished the PPL training without filing any flight plan. After I got my license I made a few local flights just to get more PIC hours and be more comfortable. After that I planned a trip to a controlled field just across the border. I learned a lot on that flight including filing the plans, planning, procedures and ATC. And sure you make mistakes (I could not find my parking spot, wasn’t aware you have to cancel a flight plan to file an earlier EBOT) but you learn from those. Soon I will make another flight just across the border and again to a controlled field. After that I want to plan a flight with a route through controlled airspace. Just little steps to get more comfortable.

Personally I have also decided to get my instrument rating to be able to cross Europe more easier but also to become a better and safer pilot.

QNH
EHHV

I was initially interested in this kind of thing, and to be honest when I finished my PPL, I was probably best placed to benefit from it.

I did my PPL training at a commercially oriented organisation – an “80k+ for a frozen ATPL” outlet. In retrospect, I was trained to the minimum possible standard by a total of about 11 different instructors. When I say minimum standard, it’s not a pejorative remark, just an objective assessment. There are so many things I didn’t do. I never landed at a non ATC airfield, never did a transit through an MATZ or Class D (UK). With a few exceptions at the home airfield, I never landed on anything other than a big strip of asphalt. I never practiced using D&D etc etc. I was not well rounded.

I probably wouldn’t have considered the Advanced PPL if I had done the PPL at the place I am currently doing my IMC training. They produce way more rounded pilots, because that’s their intention at the outset. The typical QXC route at this place involves landings on both grass and asphalt, interacting with A/G, FISO and ATC at each destination (not at the same time!), and requires a MATZ transit and possible Class D transit (if given) along the route.

Personally, the aspects of the advanced PPL I like are the “operating near the edges of the flight envelope”. Not something I think an inexperienced pilot should do, when safe instruction from someone with many more years experience is possible.

Last Edited by masterofnone at 02 Jul 05:47
Great thanks to each of you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences which are very helpful! I can definitely “tick the box” against PiperArcher’s first response and last bullet point as it has taken me a little time to read through and digest your comprehensive answers to my question. You have certainly given me more confidence to just get on with it (subject to good planning etc. etc.).

I have been exposed to some of the possibilities mentioned: my QXC included Cambridge which has an approach and a tower; I’ve been through Class D (Luton) twice and been to Le Touquet (for a cross-channel check with an instructor but the Tower was closed and Lille Approach didn’t really care so more basic radio than flying into a farm strip but with a bigger runway – now I should do it on my own), but I get the point about stretching myself and doing it on my own/with another pilot too to build the confidence and experience. I would like to get some taildragger experience but that’s just a personal curiosity or compulsion.

Definitely speaking with more experienced pilots on the ground helps; it gives time to assimilate the information and an iterative sense of purpose. As and when, I can then plump down for specific training where/if required. If I want to go properly touring in some form or another, I will eventually need to look at a share as I simply won’t be able to get the a/c availability from the school. Nevertheless, I have seen more of England in the last 6 months (OK, just to aerodromes, but it is still a visit) than I have in the last 3 years and every time I land, I get a certain kick out of being someplace else by air in such a short time vs by car/train and much better views and sense of freedom.

In a sense, I realise that the “fun” part about flying is really starting now as there are such a variety of directions to take it in, be it now or later. Thanks again!

Edit : Peter – I thought the red knob was the on-off switch? will work on that one going forward.

Last Edited by CKN at 02 Jul 08:33
CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message