Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK ATSOCAS Phraseology

A few months ago there was a change to the the standard response expected to traffic information when receiving a Traffic Service OCAS in the UK.

I cannot find the reference to the current prefered response. I think it was “Traffic Sighted” or “Traffic not Sighted”, but I cannot find the reference in any of the docs on the CAA website.

Can anyone help with a reference?

EGKB Biggin Hill

CAP413, 5.25

So either “Traffic in Sight” or “Traffic not sighted”.

And presumably said regardless of whether in IMC or not. Since a traffic service is more common when in IMC, I guess the latter response would be most likely?

Out of habit, I responded with these phrases when in France last week. Hope I didn’t confuse the controller too much.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

I think the words “sight” and “sighted” are too similar and potentially confusing.
For the moment I continue to use phrases like “Roger, no contact” or, “Ah yes, thanks, I’ve got ’im”

Last Edited by flybymike at 20 Jul 18:51
Egnm, United Kingdom

Very odd.

It used to be “roger” (not seen) or “visual” (seen), I think.

I wonder how this is supposed to be modified if you are in IMC? I normally tell ATC if I am in IMC.

If you want to make people cringe you can use the incorrect phrase “on TCAS However I think that response does help ATC nevertheless because they know you are watching that target, and it must help them prioritise the stuff they are passing you. After all, in Class G, a traffic service does not carry any obligation on ATC to report anything at all.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am really confused. I eventually found it in 3.43, with 5.25 being about something else.

Is v21, the one on the CAA website, the current one?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Good morning Timothy:
The version carrying the revised phraseology is V21 but that which incorporates amendments as at 6 March 2014 and the section you require is 5.24

OT

I’m curious to know why they decided to use the non-ICAO phraseology of “Traffic not sighted” vs. “Negative contact”.

You mean “Traffic in sight” vs. “Negative contact”…?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I tend to say either

Visual with the traffic
Looking for traffic
Copied traffic (if in IMC)
Have traffic on TCAS

All completely non standard but seems to be understood.

EGTK Oxford
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message