Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Average cost of private flying...

Rental costs for a 160hp Warrior here in UK are typically 150 Euro/hour wet.

A couple of points I’d make that are sometimes lost when comparing ownership vs rental costs

a) I find myself calculating airborne hours for the share-o-plane rather than tacho or hobbs. It was quite a shock to be charged by Hobbs in the US recently, even though the hourly rate is so much less than Europe. Our syndicate charges (towards engine/prop fund) by airborne time plus fuel used, so I no longer mind those 20 minute waits at the hold quite as much as I used to.

b) I found I did more “buddy flying” when in a club environment, sharing a leg rather than flying (and paying for) the whole return trip. Although you don’t log the hours as P1, it can mean you get 2x or 3x for the same money. I imagine cost sharing is even less likely if sole owner, but it depends on your circumstances.

On the other hand, there’s no doubt that the share-o-plane is better equipped, can be taken away for days or even weeks at a time etc. etc. and there is more control over maintenance/upgrade issues. This makes trips possible that simply wouldn’t be feasible with rented/club aircraft.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Horse ownership is not exactly a working class hobby either!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I compare it to holidays. When I am paying 7k for the annual holiday with the wife and kids, people used to discuss their holidays, and give me, yep 300 quid all in including flights. I always went home and sat and wondered why I was being constantly ripped off in my choice of holiday destination. Now, my view, if you want some All inclusive hell hole in Estapona, next to the railway station, feel free. You can probably do that on 300 quid all in, and all you can eat carvery. Take ten years off your life expectancy though.

To private flying

The Bonanza
Insurance 1420
Trust 295
Parking 3000
Maintenance 5000 – includes gradual upgrades

The Pilot
Medicals 290
Certs etc 300

Flight handling landing fees based on 70 hours 8870
Fuel based on 11.00 galls an hour 7690

Total annual cost 26,865.00.

That does not include the initial purchase of the aeroplane, training and licence costs, new headsets, new gizmos etc. I could go on, but I am actually starting to frighten myself. The true cost I believe………

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow
53 Posts
Sign in to add your message