Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ground speed record

I’ve briefly seen 200 kt GS in a C172 once…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

On a flight from Spain over France to Germany back in 2016 in a microlight P96 despite a typical economical cruise speed of about 70 knots (consuming ~10 liters per hour), we saw up to 144 knots ground speed (266 km/h) all the way to Limoges, where we stopped to refuel. That’s more tailwind than cruise speed! Beat that! 🤣

We made 450nm without stop, topped the farthest distance the plane has gone before by more than 100nm. And I would have gone further, but it was the planned destination.

Germany

Did not keep the picture of the GNS430, but I once found myself doing a 600fpm cruise climb at 120kt GS around 7000ft in a 160 hp PA-28. 40kts in the back, obviously.

ESMK, Sweden

That’s more tailwind than cruise speed! Beat that! 🤣

“O dear, I forgot my wallet at the ARO.. we really need to turn back! Ehm….”

Last Edited by aart at 30 Jan 07:22
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I used to do my Biennial Flight Review in my 1941 Piper Cub with a lovely instructor at Turweston who’s day job was flying 747s for British Airways. We had lots of fun together.

The day of the flight there was a steady 30 kt wind straight down the runway. I took off, climbed to 100 ft and carefully throttled back. “Have you ever flown backwards” I asked, “look at our shadow down next to the runway”. Sure enough we were slowly retreating backwards. The same day we did a practice off field landing that was done as a completely vertical descent over the designated spot.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

If we go back thirty five years when I was in the forces, a mate told me about a trip with his father who worked for Boeing. He delivered and flight tested the 747. On one trip he took his son with him in an empty 747, and they took tennis gear with them. Neil claims to hold the world’s fastest serve at a ground speed of around 600mph.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

My record in the Bonanza

Belgium

But this is the best ground speed story ever;

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

UdoR wrote:

more tailwind than cruise speed! Beat that! 🤣

+1 on that 😅👏🏻

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

@Pig that Brian Shul story is everywhere but it may not actually be true. Shul is pretty much universally disliked amongst the SR71 community: he was the only pilot to ever be fired from the program and told some lies that stopped some colleagues getting promoted.

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message