Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The peril of VFR under (or above) the cloud

Alternatively there is the old trick – which can be used really safely only with coastal airports – which is to descend through the stuff when out over the water, outside the destination airport’s CAS, and then proceed “genuine VFR” to the destination. This is used by instrument-capable pilots who don’t have the full IR (i.e. Brits with the IMC Rating, when outside the UK) or by IR holders who are flying “VFR” for whatever reason. I never wrote this…

Have had to do this the legal way a few times – IFR flight to VFR airfield, descend to 500’ over the sea and then continue VFR. I wouldn’t be overly keen on doing this to an airfield with which I was unfamiliar.

United Kingdom

Anybody who looks at a German newsstand will note that the specialized topic print media is still much more prevalent there than in many other places.

That’s very un-German-like, surely?!

They do not trust the electronic distribution methods. That is how I understood it.
Not a good business decision in my opinion. They let go of revenue to protect printed sales.

United Kingdom

I’ve ordered the entire issue on paper and hope to see it in my mailbox when I return home – so don’t give away too much detail yet. ;-)

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Thanks, I’ve read the article in PuF now. I’m starting a separate thread for my comments.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

They are a bit behind it.

I wasn’t going to mention it, but seeing as you did ….. !! That’s very un-German-like, surely?!

Bordeaux

They are a bit behind it. To protect the revenue.

United Kingdom

It doesn’t look like PuF is available as an iPad subscription? Only paper?

Bordeaux

I can read German, so… is this available on the web? (And what is PuF?)

It’s important to spell it with one “f”. Then it’s “Pilot und Flugzeug”.

You can order the magazine or single pages as PDF here:

https://www.pilotundflugzeug.de/store/archiv/2014-08

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

For the german speakers: PuF 08/2014 had a very good article on how flying with an EIR will work in the future.

I can read German, so… is this available on the web? (And what is PuF?)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message