Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What OTHER things do you love ... ?

Hillwalking:

Rugby:

[image missing]

London area

Well, since I decided to be a business aviator by profession some years ago, I had to cut my other hobbies somewhat short (money and mostly time being the constraints), but a few remain, many of which have already been mentioned above.

In Ultranomad’s post I recognised my motorbike, mine is from 1995 (or 4?) and last year after almost 150.000km I replaced the engine with a much younger overhauled one, so it should be good for another 15 years or so. It looks a bit different from the one in Ultranomad’s picture but it is the same one

I try do do all the maintenance on the bike myself (but not on the car) and like Peter enjoy tinkering with electronics since I was 10 years old or so. Right now I have a few little microcontroller projects going but no idea when they will be finished, proirity is low… I also like to collect things and one of my collection consists of around 1000 calculators (navigation tools preferred of course) which often require the use of a sodering iron.

Music: Unfortunately, I never really learned to play an instrument well, so I am a pure consumer of music. As often as possible I attend life music events which again is somewhat difficult when one’s schedule does not go beyond the next two or three days. So I must take what I can get… I like pop/rock/folk music and classical music with voices (opera, choir and musicals to some extent) but pure instrumental stuff like symphonic music and jazz bores me to death.

As already written in another thread, my biggest luxury – so to say – is my horse that forces me to spend a few hours outdoor every week no matter what the weather and temperatures are like. I used to do some jumping until a few years ago but both my horse and myself are too old for that now. Here is a typical sunday afternoon ride around our stable:

And another important love of my life is astronomy. Apart from a couple of small telescopes that I use in my garden when free time and clear skies come together (not often) I am part of the group that runs the public observatory in our town. We give public lectures and show and explain the public the stars and the sun. The picture shows my colleagues preparing the telescopes for an observation of the sun:

EDDS - Stuttgart

Besides my wife, kids and job, building airplanes is the thing I really like Sometimes more so than flying, even extended my house for this:

My VW e-up! is also a real joy. It’s one of those things that armchair philosophers can find dozens of all kinds of reason why it is a poor choice compared with an ordinary car. Once you get it and use it, the only thing you wonder about is why you didn’t get it (or another electric car) sooner. An electric airplane is the obvious next build, a two seat motorglider kind of thing maybe.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I have eight nice motorcycles on two continents, three cars and a hangout-hangar to store stuff, a huge white geriatric dog, rental properties and a wife who moved across the world in mid-life. She’s learning at a ferocious rate and asks questions like a child I have no problems staying occupied… (but its fun)

My old BMW is the same shade of red and also has around 150K Km, mostly in the Alps

Last Edited by Silvaire at 11 Jan 16:12

I have eight nice motorcycles on two continents

That’s a statement. Well done, Silvaire.

For me the other thing besides flying and the usual stuff people do is rock climbing. Incidentally, shares some characteristics with flying (heights, risk management).

This picture below was taken on Kalymnos. I hear it’s a nice place to fly to, as well. In any case, the island featured in Peter’s best-of flying photos of 2014. I have not yet been able to combine both hobbies on trips apart from one climbing day in the “Sauerland” area where I flew in. The weight of the gear and the distance from airfields to climbing crags are adverse factors for this.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Currently enjoying upgrading my sailing skills. That’s my beauty above, I am also into fast cars, but a summer only pastime. I only used to work, work, and more work, but a very large business I had went bust some years ago, and after that I decided, as I re built it, to structure my time differently. With a wife, and two young kids, the weekends are for them, but I take a day mid week to indulge in the things I like, flying, sailing and driving. I now work, to pay for it all……

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Seems like a lot of pilots are into sailing… I own a small open sailing boat which we use for daytrips on the nearby lakes. Great fun!

Trips on the motorbike is another passion. I usually ride with my girlfriend. This is in the UK Lake District:

Skiing in wintertime. Being in the mountains, fresh air, cable cars. It’s a great thing to do!

Last but not least; my fiancé. She’s still not bored enough to join me flying ;-)

Beechbaby, I am not a boat person but yours looks like a classic and I like the look of it very much.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

And he gets to fly the Blue Ensign…………..

Forever learning
EGTB

In my spare time some old boats.

Used to be fast cars

But now mostly cars older than me.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message