Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Rating Revalidation - Procedure and Timing

Indeed. I believe that that SERA brought about that change. Up to that point it needed to be a single flight, and since then more than one was allowed. But has SERA been fully implimented in the UK yet? I know it was supposed to have been, but didn’t the CAA push back against EASA on it?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

No. He needs to sign it on the back of your license. But make sure beforehand, that a German instructor is allowed to sign an UK licence. In theory under EASA this should be the case, but I’ve heard other stories.

Whether a DE examiner is allowed to sign a UK license should be described in the EASA differences document. Just look it up on Google or you favourite search engine.

Edit: replaced “is” by “should be”

Last Edited by Aviathor at 26 Jan 11:20
LFPT, LFPN

No, the FIs and CRIs are not anymore allowed to sign the licence. YOu can do the flight check – but you have to send in the paperwork and the pilot will get the entry or a new issue of the licence from the authority.

Rhino, there is a contradiction in the guidance regarding the hour with an instructor. CAP 804 indicates that this is “a flight” of not less than 1 hour. There is alternative guidance that it can be two or three flights but these must be with the same instructor.

Confusing, yes?

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 26 Jan 12:56
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Hmm, maybe we wires crossed, Max… One sure needs an examiner for the normal SEP revalidation. The flight can be done by an instructor, but the paperwork must be done by an examiner.

Yes, that’s right, I forgot about this bit (too many EASA FCL/OPS seminars during the last months.) Nothing changes for the license holder, but he needs to find an examiner who signs his license instead of the instructor who flies with him.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I believe that that SERA brought about that change.

SERA are the Standardised European Rules of the Air. They have nothing to do with licensing.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This is turning into a bit of a hassle now.

I’ve more than fulfilled the requirements for SEP validation by experience (including an extra hour of airwork with an instructor recently for this purpose – over and above the time spent with instructors within the last 12 months, which exceeds the mandatory hour anyway) and I only need the validation to be signed in my license and the form for the CAA signed.

Unfortunately, CAA-approved examiners are rare in Germany and the one I spoke with (and apparently the other one I have within reach would have a similar position) says he’s not signing anything if he hasn’t flown with me. That’s nonsense in my view because what are they signing, really? The statement on form SRG1119E states:

“I certify that I have examined the applicants logbook(s) and the entries in them meet in full the requirements to revalidation by experience […].”

They’re not certifying my flying capabilities (which would certainly require a flight… as is the case when revalidation by experience is not an option due to insufficient hours flown within the past 12 months). They’re only certifying the log entries – a purely bureaucratic act.

So now I’m going to send the stuff to the CAA and pay GBP 88 for THEM to perform the act, which is a waste of money IMHO.

The mantra among the instructors/examiners hereabouts seems to be: “Why should I sign anything if I’m not flying with the guy?”. There’s no legal basis for this (i.e. they’re perfectly authorized by the competent authority to perform this signature), but of course, I can’t really force them to do it…

Thoughts on this?

Btw. if anyone knows a CAA-approved examiner somewhere not too far from Düsseldorf, do let me know.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Patrick the UK CAA now allow instructors to sign the re-validation page. All newly issued FI/CRI ratings get this privilege and all current FI/CRI can pay the CAA a fee (56 quid I think) for this privileged to be added. Th information notice for this is on the CAA website (IN-2015/034)

www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/InformationNotice2015034.pdf

It might be better value for you to offer to pay for the FI to have this privileged and you will then be sorted next time round? and it would be cheaper.

Last Edited by Bathman at 20 Apr 10:07

Patrick £88, Noooooooooo.

If you can PDF me the relevant pages of your logbook and then post your licence to me I will happily issue a revalidation, for free.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

says he’s not signing anything if he hasn’t flown with me.

Reminiscent of GPs who refuse to sign off medical self declarations without a medical examination first.

Egnm, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message