Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR airfields in Scotland and near Europe

I’ve been enjoying using my PPL around the South of the UK (am based in the SW). I’m now ready to venture a bit further afield. What are some nice airfields (with photos and links if poss ) that I can fly to perhaps in the north of the UK or Europe? Ideally I’d like to fly for a maximum of 3 hours at 110knts. VFR only. I’m ok with tarmac or grass, licensed or not is fine. I only speak English, if that makes a difference?

Have you been to St Mary’s (Scilly Isles) yet? That’s great fun:

The western isles are spectacular and well worth it:

I can recommend Islay, Colonsay, Oban and Stornoway from personal experience.

Nearer home, Caernarfon is great for a day of walking on the coast path, or a visit to the museum on the airfield.

The Channel Islands are friendly, and fuel is super-cheap.

Along the north French coast almost all of the airfields are good, and most have nice seaside towns within easy reach.

Spa (EBSP) in Belgium is one of my favourite airfields – lots going on, good food at the airfield, friendly service. No immigration though, so you have to stop off o the way in and back. See @boscomantico ’s recent post for more.

Last Edited by jwoolard at 18 Feb 14:26
EGEO

I would suggest Granville (LFRF), after a stop for Shengen immigration at Cherbourg where Luc runs a very pleasant restaurant and wine shop in the terminal building. He also sells the latest French charts. You can easily walk to the beach at Granville which is wonderful during decent weather. And if you are feeling more adventurous fly onto Belle Isle sur Mer, a sort of French version of Alderney, and well worth a night stop in the port of Sauzon.

I’ve never been to the Scilly Isles, that looks great.

Marchettiman is there anything special I need to know about flying to France? I’ve never flown myself there before.

They speak French there – at a speed few English schools could prepare you for. And they tend to eat slimy things and even praise them but that is perhaps a secondary point. And oh yes, they have lots of airspace sectors assigned to low flying military jets – do mind your p’s & q’s.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

The Scilly Isles is a really nice day out. Very scenic “old England” kind of place

The runway has a bend in the middle but normally you will be airborne by the time you reach it

Grass parking for me, on that occassion anyway (about 10 years ago)

It is one of the few places in the UK where you can see a Mk2 Ford Cortina actually on the road

I seem to remember the airport is closed on Sundays.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
I’ve 15 videos of approach/land at Scottish airfields on YouTube, and a lot more showing the highland and island scenery from the air.

Link
More than 3 hours at 110kts from you, though.
(Since the referendum result last autumn we’ll still be using the £ and not requiring you to notify anyone in the Security or Customs).

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message