Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Snow operations?

Live and learn indeed, well done. Now I'm not sure which Maule you have, but on your own, with half tanks, I would expect to be long airborne at 600 feet of roll. You might find that working up to a bit more vigour might produce even more rewarding results. Remind yourself that the stall warning is just that, a warning. If the plane is off the ground, particularly in ground effect, and accelerating, you can live with the stall warning, it's going to go away as you lower the nose, but without touching down again, if you're gentle and careful.

Always good to keep the runway under you as log as you can though. Most every landing and take off I do in the Teal will require full rudder application at some point. The Siai Marchetti 1019 I test flew required full pedal applied and held during takeoff every time, and sometimes that was not enough! Don't be afraid to apply full pedal if you need to. Go up and do some slow flight, with lots of altitude. Apply full pedal with some aileron, exactly as you would on the ground roll, you'll find that you have lots of control, without it getting scary. If you're afraid of entering a spin, quickly lower the nose while you straighten out and you'll be fine.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Although I can't make any contributions to this thread from my own experience, I'd like to thank Pilot DAR in particular for all his tips - it's so interesting to read and add to my own small pot of knowledge. Likewise the threads on "Flying through Frontal Weather" and "Icing in VMC"...

Stay safe all you adventurous peeps :)

Jojo the Lurker!

Bordeaux

I wanted to go flying some days ago but our airfield is officially PPR when there is a lot of snow (because of the heaps left and right of the runway which are not ICAO conformant). Didn't get the PPR because they forgot to put winter diesel in the fire truck which was therefore INOP. This sucks!

I saw a documentary about the 1960 plane crash with the Man U team in Munich....turns out slush on the runway was the likely culprit....light fluffy (dry) snow may be ok....but slushy, melting snow....maybe not

AQ

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

(I even make a vid but the camera packed up which is a pity)>

With a very poor cabin heater, I found it impossible to video in very cold conditions until I bought a camera freezeproofed to -10C.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Here is a nice article about landing on snow, in a PA-11. Nice pics too, from the Pyrenees.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Spot the runway! (Oregon, a few weeks back).

No problem at all on landing (don’t touch the brakes!) but acceleration on departure had me wondering if the ASI had frozen up overnight. Walking around the apron was another matter, since it was impossible to stand upright on the clear ice. Hangarage essential in these conditions, since the ice wouldn’t melt off until well past midday.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message