Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying through frontal weather (IFR)

The logical answer which I come back to every time I look at this is of course a Jetprop Justine keeps saying: why don’t you just buy one and stop talking about it! Then I have to come up with reasons for not buying one…

That’s the same I get from Hinda but I haven’t been able to justify Jetprop to myself – pricewise, mission, etc. But who knows what future can bring

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The logical answer which I come back to every time I look at this is of course a Jetprop Justine keeps saying: why don’t you just buy one and stop talking about it! Then I have to come up with reasons for not buying one…

My dream is more modest. It is about a P210, FIKI and with a weather radar. We should all have a dream, but some dreams should probably just remain that way.

LFPT, LFPN

My dream is more modest. It is about a P210

Have you flown one?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 31 Jul 20:01
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

aviathor likes Trucking…
My dream is even more modest Tip Tanks and a new windshield… jetprop naa…it’s bad on grass

Last Edited by Vref at 31 Jul 20:47
EBST

Come on Peter, you know you want to!

EGTK Oxford

Have you flown one?

Yes. And that is when those damned dreams started.

LFPT, LFPN

etprop naa…it’s bad on grass

There’s someone on here who operates his Jetprop in Thailand off grass….he included a video….can’t find the link…

In fact I’m sure it is a lot better on grass than my Mooney! (Trailing ling gear, better prop clearance…)

Unless you mean all that heat from the turbine is bad for the grass!

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 01 Aug 09:59
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

The funny thing is my boss started to get interested in my flying….he did some research….and without any aviation knowledge decided that if he started flying he would get a turbine PA46 (Jetprop or Meridien)…I am encouraging him!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

There’s someone on here who operates his Jetprop in Thailand off grass

He is on EuroGA

and without any aviation knowledge decided that if he started flying he would get a turbine PA46 (Jetprop or Meridien)

That’s completely logical. Once you discover how “IFR” and “weather” works, you need radar, deice, and a FL250+ ceiling, and thus pressurisation.

There are just 2 issues. You need the money, and the mission profile is narrowed because prop strikes (and other runway related damage) are more easily done on the PA46, and it isn’t so good for sightseeing due to the thick windows, which also means you can’t normally get half decent photos through them.

Oh and you need an IR, and in post-2015 EASA-land you need the HPA, etc.

If I had the right situation i.e.

• always good runways
  • available hangarage for that size aircraft
  • doing mostly long trips
  • not interested in getting nice photos

I would buy a Jetprop tomorrow.

You can operate a Citation from grass and plenty of people do. But it has to be “known good grass”, and how many people drive there first and walk the runway, and have a means of making sure it stays that way? Technically there are ways to achieve such grass, especially with the covert plastic reinforcement, but very few people are willing to put in the effort because assembling an airfield syndicate with enough deep-pocketed people is almost impossible. At most grass strips, half the people just bicker

Last Edited by Peter at 01 Aug 13:11
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A turbine Bonanza with TKS and tip tanks would cover that except pressurization
http://turbinebonanza.com/

EBST
Sign in to add your message