Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Takeoff incident

Flaps are used:
- to fly safer at a lower speed because the stall speed is lower
- to create more lift at lower speeds in takeoff position or position for short field take off
- to create drag and lower lift in the landing position

It is correct that the best rate of climb is achieved without flaps, just as you have the bvest range with Vbg without flaps

I asked at the beginning why flaps were used. I assumed a short runway, but the answer was that the runway used was 1100 mts. That is not short. 500 is short. I fly the PA28, when I renew my ratings, and flight tests. The club I use has one. I have never used flaps for take off in this aeroplane. The POH does not mention it. Not sure where this stability thing comes in, none of my instructors have ever mentioned it.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

The PA28 that I fly allows for 25 degrees flaps (2nd stage). It makes no mention of using 10 degrees flaps (first stage).

If departing a grass field, I’d often use 25 degree flaps so as to get the aircraft off the ground as soon as possible. Grass can often be bumpy and hard on the undercarraige. Hence whey I want it off the ground asap.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

To get off the ground in the shortest distance and for obstacles 25 flaps is useful – but the best rate of climb is achieved without flaps.

BeechBaby wrote:

I asked at the beginning why flaps were used. I assumed a short runway, but the answer was that the runway used was 1100 mts. That is not short. 500 is short.
Like dublinpilot said above.

I fly the PA28, when I renew my ratings, and flight tests. The club I use has one. I have never used flaps for take off in this aeroplane. The POH does not mention it. Not sure where this stability thing comes in, none of my instructors have ever mentioned it.

What model of PA28 do you fly? The Warrior II and Archer II POHs say that you should use 25° flap for soft/short field takeoff and also have performance graphs for that.

I agree about the stability thing – I can’t see that either.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 08 Jul 13:31
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Sorry, I fly it off 10,000 feet tarmac….but, my main point was the POH…….it called for 25 on s/f.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I have once heard “a trick” from a person (no FI but very experienced) that in order to get airborne quickly from a short field, one could delay extending to 25 degrees just before (expected) rotation (on a PA 28). Never tried that myself but in theory the acceleration distance could be shortened. Would probably not make it into any SOP though…

ESMH

Yes – that’s the shortest possible “short field takeoff”. Minimise drag till you actually need the flap.

But there is also a “soft field takeoff” which is a different thing entirely.

I first came across this stuff in the FAA PPL. It was never mentioned in the JAA PPL. There, you just, ahem, took off…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What was the Temp/dew point split ?

I wonder if a bit of Carb ice spiced up the problem

A_and_C wrote:

What was the Temp/dew point split ?

I wonder if a bit of Carb ice spiced up the problem

14°C, so I don’t think so… You would need extreme conditions to get carb ice on takeoff.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message