Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Greek Airports (being sold to FRAPORT in Germany) and many new problems

One possible way AOPA (or another similar organisation) could possibly help with handling is to try making a deal with Hellenic CAA to grant self-handling approval to AOPA members who have taken proper training (e.g. from AOPA) and undertake to wear safety vests and be in continuous radio contact with GROUND while airside, observe all airport safety procedures, etc. If this deal is successful, it may even bring AOPA Hellas quite a bit of foreign membership.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Slight drift… For better overview and planning purposes I made a map of airports in Greece specific to GA use.

here

always learning
LO__, Austria

petakas wrote:

Practically the main problems that remain and differentiate Greek airports from rest of Europe are HANDLING costs and PPRs in summer period.

Thanks, yes, that is exactly the problem. As long as the handling mafia will continue, even your valiant efforts to get Fraport to bring the taxes down is futile…. Nevertheless it IS an achievement for which I thank you and AOPA Greece.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

50€ for each slot message obviously stays. That rate per written letter can’t be achieved even by most skillful programmers

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Snoopy wrote:

Slight drift… For better overview and planning purposes I made a map of airports in Greece specific to GA use.

GA_Greece_Codes_pdf

Some information is wrong or missing there :
LGBL Anghialos AFB – port of entry – no AVGAS – PPR
LGLM Limnos AFB – port of entry – no AVGAS – PPR – only airport with no AOPA discount single handler (Swissport).
LGSO Syros which has AVGAS – not port of entry
KGKC Kithira which can act as port of entry – no AVGAS
LGMG Megara has AVGAS, no port of entry – needs PPR only if overnight stay is needed – cheapest stopover for refuel – only airport officially without handling obligation
LGMK Mykonos Fraport port of entry, PPR (very hard in summer)
LGSR Santorini Fraport port of entry, PPR (very hard in summer)
LGAV Athens Int’l – has everything H24 – needs PPR – even though its Greece’s biggest airport the fees are lower than Fra-ports for a short visit.
LGSM Samos – Fraport port of entry, PPR and has AVGAS
LGTS Thessaloniki – Fraport port of entry, PPR – does NOT provide AVGAS – remove it ! it can cause trouble if consulted for refueling purposes (only local aeroclub has some barrels but its tricky to arrange because they are in the process of moving their aeroclub training flights out of Fra-port LGTS nowadays to northeast nearby ZZZZ Kolchiko gravel strip). Maybe they will be visiting LGTS only for maintenance.

LGPZ, LGKF, LGZA, LGSK Fraport port of entry, PPR

Basically all Fra-ports are Ports of Entry, with PPR not PNR.

Also the map is quite zoomed out for the purpose it tries to serve.
Also it’d be better in image format rather than PDF.

Source of information : www.aopa.gr/Info

LGMG Megara, Greece

Emir wrote:

50€ for each slot message obviously stays. That rate per written letter can’t be achieved even by most skillful programmers

Yes that’s the handler’s mafia, irrelevant to Fra-ports.
Its only for IFR flights at slot coordinated airports and only during the coordination period, basically the summer busy period.

LGMG Megara, Greece

It is not quite established whether a Y flight plan (VFR arrival) avoids the slot. I think it does; the Q is how far back you have to cancel IFR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

petakas wrote:

only during the coordination period, basically the summer busy period.

Which is basically the most interesting period for visiting and which starts very early in Greece around Easter time.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

It is not quite established whether a Y flight plan (VFR arrival) avoids the slot. I think it does; the Q is how far back you have to cancel IFR.

I would say nobody could object if you cancel it latest at the point where filed plan switches from IFR to VFR. And technically if you don’t file for instrument arrival and approach you don’t need slot. However, one should always get confirmation on this from handler to avoid being subjected to different interpretations.

Last Edited by Emir at 06 Mar 08:11
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I tried that but never got anything meaningful back. At the Samos office, 2017, they told me all flights need a slot, including VFR, which is obviously nonsense.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message