Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Type rating underway

So just back from completing all the ground school at Farnborough.

A very interesting experience as a combination of 4.5 (8am – 5pm) days of systems teaching with 6 hours total FTD work to get a handle on some procedures, failures and buttonology. Teaching was 1 on 1 and very high quality. The depth to which we had to go into systems like electrical, hydraulic and environmental was far greater than I have had on any lighter GA aircraft conversion course but then of course jet systems are a lot more complicated and interrelated. Overall went well and looking forward to the sim work in two weeks in the US. The advantage of doing a bit of FTD work is you know know where everything is, how it works and can focus on flying the aircraft to ATP instrument standards and dealing with failures in the sim.

We did get one run in the sim which seems very good but a visual approach from downwind will be challenging given the runway disappearing after 90 degrees.

Overall it was quite intense but very enjoyable and the FSI instructor I had was great. Seems I am doing fine so far but the sim work will be hard I expect. Flying is same as any other IFR flying but far more precision on speed needed and use of checklists and procedures (including memory items) is far more rigorous as you would expect.

EGTK Oxford

Which TR is it you’re doing ?

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

JasonC wrote:

We did get one run in the sim which seems very good but a visual approach from downwind will be challenging given the runway disappearing after 90 degrees.

Then you should try a visual approach at ENKB (Kristiansund), and go left downwind 07. The runway is placed just beneath a small mountain (650 ft) at the north. When going left downwind 07, you will fly on the other side of the mountain. The runway will be gone from view until you are well onto the base (you will see the very end of it before turning base though). I have landed there a few times before and never thought about it, because I never did a left downwind 07 apparently. Last week I came from the north and the wind was coming from NE. Tower told cleared left downwind 07, and I did. It was rather funny and a bit surprising when the whole runway disappeared from view.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Hi Jason
What aircraft are you going to fly.

C510 single pilot.

EGTK Oxford

Well done Jason… But isn’t your photo out of date now

EDHS, Germany

True Jon but would have to be blank right now. Will be aspirational and put one in.

EGTK Oxford

C510 looks nice – the Mustang. One site gives the range at over 2000nm. That’s all of Europe, from the UK.

Is there a multi pilot version?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

One site gives the range at over 2000nm.

Nice joke. At best 1100NM without any reserves.

Visuals in the sim are always misleading and challenging and sim instructors will allow for this and show you how to do it for circling approaches and the like. I hope you can find the time to enjoy it!

If they have a cardboard cockpit, time spent in there chair flying with your SOPs/QRH is absolute gold dust.

London area
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message